humidity and pianos

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

jordan2
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

humidity and pianos

Post by jordan2 »

Currently, my room is about 55 % humidity read on the hygrometer.
It says the ideal humidity would be 40-50%. Do I have to dehumidifier it or just leave as it is?
I am taking care of a piano for my friend at this moment and will buy one very soon. We are living very close in Scotland. I suppose the winter has just passed and the dry air which is the killer of piano should not be worried at this moment for half a year at least.

How does Scotland's summer humidity will affect the piano? we are living on 3rd and 4th floor.
Do we need an expensive piano life saver system? Or any cheap apparatus for recommendation?
piano heads
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: humidity

Post by piano heads »

Yes,phone Richard or Jeff as Hurstwood Farm pianos they should be able to answer query.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

jordan2 wrote:Currently, my room is about 55 % humidity read on the hygrometer.
It says the ideal humidity would be 40-50%. Do I have to dehumidifier it or just leave as it is?
I am taking care of a piano for my friend at this moment and will buy one very soon. We are living very close in Scotland. I suppose the winter has just passed and the dry air which is the killer of piano should not be worried at this moment for half a year at least.

How does Scotland's summer humidity will affect the piano? we are living on 3rd and 4th floor.
Do we need an expensive piano life saver system? Or any cheap apparatus for recommendation?
its your tuner you need to talk to have they been keeping a record of the pitch swing, if the pitch is swing more than 10cent each way then a life saver system would be the best option if the swing is 20cens or more then you do have a problem

Dehumidification of the room can be very good but the big down side is it take too much moisture out of the soundboard, Where as a life saver takes it out but puts it back in, all year round. With humidity of 55% at this time of year that is quite high that's June to August humidity. Most home in the North west of England at this time of year are around 33 to 38% the ones that have underfloor its around 28%

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
RWAS
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by RWAS »

It depends on the de-humidifier and where you live. The portable model which I have, allows you to set the humidity level you require. You can also monitor its accuracy with a hygrometer.

I live in Auckland, New Zealand which has quite a high level of humidity (often 70+) throughout the year.

I am no expert, but I believe that room control of humidity is better than an appliance which works primarily on one part of the piano, the soundboard. However, in climates where the natural humidity drops extremely low, it is important to humidify the soundboard and other parts of the instrument which the Dampp-Chaser seems to do effectively.

All the piano care literature and common sense tell us that the most important rule is to maintain stability of humidity. The fluctuations of humidity, which cause the soundboard to lift and fall, do the damage.

All the best,

Robert.
I love the piano and its music.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Mickamark.... stunning advice there on your website.
Then please tell us on this forum what effects 100% humidity has on a piano; also what are the side-effects/ tuning issues/ wood veneer/ wrest plank/ soundboard etc etc - and how can this be remedied, and what (in your opinion) is the optimum level and percentage of humidity allowable in the atmosphere, and what devices can be bought to reduce the problems of humidity/damp/ dry air.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

:twisted: :lol:
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Bob Pierce
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Bob Pierce »

The recommended R/H for a modern piano is 42%. I usually advise people with older instruments to keep the piano at 45% R/H.
Without doubt the best way forward is to fit a PIano lifesaver system from Dampp Chaser. They do the job well. If you check their website you will see that most of the top makers recommend them. You will also see a list of trained technicians around the country who will be able to provide further advice, my recommendation to you would be speak to Malcolm Smith in Edinburgh.
crispin
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: humidity and pianos

Post by crispin »

My investment in a Dampp Chaser system has brought tuning stability and piece of mind.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: humidity and pianos

Post by Barrie Heaton »

crispin wrote:My investment in a Dampp Chaser system has brought tuning stability and piece of mind.
Once it has been in for 18 month you will see that the tuning becomes very stable I have clients who use to have the piano tuned 3 time a year are now down to 1 visit a year the only problem with that are the pads the light stays on even when they are manky and crusty

Barrie ,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page