grand piano removal

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

jordan2
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

grand piano removal

Post by jordan2 »

Dear all,
Just ask helpf if anyone could recommend a good removal company to remove a grand 5'5 bluthner from london surrey (gronnd floor) to glasgow city centre?(4th floor)

I need good recommendations and can I ask do these companies offer insurance for removal?

Any info and comments are highly appreciated.
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: grand piano removal

Post by mdw »

Piano Logistics
Johnkie
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Johnkie »

Brown and Illingworth, and Tenniswoods - both companies are based in the North East (Newcastle upon Tyne) and have been moving full size concert grands where quality moving is extremely important. Fully insured and do runs throughout the UK. You should easily find their details on the internet.
Concert Tuner & Technician for 45+ years - North East UK
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Piano Logistics are moving pianos up and down the UK all the time see if you can get it as a part load. see their home page for the list of makers who use them

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Piano Logistics for me every time,might cost more but job professionally done.
Johnkie
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Johnkie »

I would think piano logistics are used by quite a few dealers and shops, judging by all the positive feedback - Perhaps consider getting a quote from all of them .... I couldn't agree more with the suggestion to ask if at all possible to be linked in a part load .... should be a lot cheaper.
Johnkie
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Johnkie »

Oh and by the way .... Brown & Illingworth and Tenniswoods are both very professional .... they too cover the whole of the UK, and have an excellent reputation. Good luck
hammer man
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by hammer man »

Try G&R their prices are fairly decent.
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

I recommend www.pianospeed.com or www.tenniswoods.co.uk

Pianospeed are in Glasgow every Friday and are in London every Monday and Tuesday. Fast, efficient, very professional and sensibly priced.

I've used Piano Logistics, G&R, Tenniswoods and Pianospeed. They are all equally competent but I always recommend PianoSpeed.

No, I'm not affiliated with them at all :)
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

No matter who you use one of the main complaints we get on the UK Piano Page from the General public about removals. They tell you that they are insured and they tell us that to get on the site. And in many cases asks for extra for the insurance. But what most don't tell you is that if they damage the floors or stains when moving the piano you are not covered and they are not liable (small print) only a few of the big ones have that insurance so beware.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Pianospeed move for Jeff Shackell who is a leading Steinway grand stockist and quite the perfectionist!
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Does Byron Bay not get a mention!!
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Colin Nicholson wrote:Does Byron Bay not get a mention!!
Haha :)
ATG
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by ATG »

No-one seems to have questioned the logistics or practicality of getting a grand onto the 4th floor!! It's a heavy beast and no goods lift will be big enough, that's assuming that you have a goods lift. And is the structure man enough for the load? Timber floors? Noise to the neighbours?

But good luck anyway..... let us know how it goes.

ATG

ps In the unlikely event that you do have a goods lift big enough for a grand, make sure it can a) handle the weight and, if so, b) whether it needs to be put on "soft start" or cranked up by hand as otherwise the pulleys might be yanked off the top of the car with the sudden load.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

ATG wrote:No-one seems to have questioned the logistics or practicality of getting a grand onto the 4th floor!! It's a heavy beast and no goods lift will be big enough, that's assuming that you have a goods lift. And is the structure man enough for the load? Timber floors? Noise to the neighbours?
A crane....... very common to do it that way in London some of the movers have built in crane. on their trucks or stair walkers

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

jordan2

Are you still with us?? If so, let us know if you have moved your piano OK - however its been nearly a month since your post & it may be sorted. Loads of good removal companies mentioned here, but just one thing....

Sometimes I think that also needs considering is the actual 'journey' up the stairs onto the 4th floor. Some stair cases are very tight & narrow, and 'one floor' may consist of 2 flights of stairs? - with a sharp 180 degree bend between flights. Unless it is sorted, I would recommend that you do get some measurements to allow for a 5 ft 5" circle (or slightly larger), or get someone from the Scotland region to assess the removal first - sometimes better to 'work it' from your end first, get them to travel down to London (empty), then collect the piano - rather than fetching someone all the way from London (unless they are in the area)...... also 4 flights of stairs!!!.... may be worth thinking about. The width will be no problem, but the length ? - also depends on the distance from wall to wall during turns & a grand isn't very easy to 'up-end' like an upright, especially balancing it between one step & another - and any awkward corners/ handrails etc. may also conflict.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

I don't know about you, but I get aggravated to see that when good advise has been given - like in this thread - it gets no recognition of thanks by the original poster. Ok, they sometimes clock back in again, but not always.
Anyway I reckon Bill, Barry, and other contributors do a grand job - grumpy ones included....... :wink:
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
jordan2
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by jordan2 »

sorry for the late reply. I appreciate all the good advice received from this forum! thumb up!
I am buying one piano for my own and another for my parents. A bit messed up.

I have checked with the bluthner from a private owner. Unfortunately, the owner refused to sell the piano anymore (as he might be having a fight with his wife who is negotiating a divorce deal).

Fair enough, bad thing always happens when you are dealing with private owner.

I am more tempted to buy myself a steinway probably from shackell or may even try the phoenix model in hurtswoord farm for my parents.