Bentley piano question

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

marmottefarcie

Bentley piano question

Post by marmottefarcie »

Another request for an opinion or advice for novice piano purchasers I'm afraid......
My wife and 9 year old son are both piano students and the time has come to acquire a proper piano for them to grow into.
We had narrowed the shortlist to a choice between a reconditioned U1 and a new K15 or K2.
Having visited several local retailers to try the various pianos and to see if there was an obvious preference with respect to tone and action, my son tried a Bentley 116 which sounded and felt really good.
What is the collective wisdom with respect to Bentley pianos?
Should we include it in the shortlist on the basis of how it sounds or would we come to regret the purchase a couple of years down the line?
Many thanks for your opinions.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Bentley piano question

Post by joe »

Would stick to the Kawai K15 or K2 and maybe try find an Essex 123 model to play, Bentley are OK but expensive and the U1 is used and probably had a hard life better sticking with a new piano from reputable makers shop and manufacturers warranties etc
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

marmottefarcie wrote: What is the collective wisdom with respect to Bentley pianos?
Should we include it in the shortlist on the basis of how it sounds or would we come to regret the purchase a couple of years down the line?
Many thanks for your opinions.
Depends on age Bentley pianos do have problems on some older models the plastic flanges for one, Felt coming off the hammers, these are all pre 80s problems 80 to 2000 poor top treble, the odd keybed failing off, tuby bass strings. Not seen the new ones made in the far east.

Having said the above there a lots of folk out there who have had many years enjoyment from their Bentley pianos

At the end of the day if the retailer is giving you a good deal and you like the sound then yes add it to your list. If you can get a 5 year guarantee out of them that just as good as a new one but look at the small print

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
marmottefarcie

Post by marmottefarcie »

Sorry, didn't make it clear that the Bentley that my son liked was a new one so would have whatever guarantee is offered by the manufacturer.
Thanks for your responses.
Bob Pierce
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Bob Pierce »

[quote="marmottefarcie"]Another request for an opinion or advice for novice piano purchasers I'm afraid......
My wife and 9 year old son are both piano students and the time has come to acquire a proper piano for them to grow into.
We had narrowed the shortlist to a choice between a reconditioned U1 and a new K15 or K2.
Having visited several local retailers to try the various pianos and to see if there was an obvious preference with respect to tone and action, my son tried a Bentley 116 which sounded and felt really good.
What is the collective wisdom with respect to Bentley pianos?
Many thanks for your opinions.[/quote]
What is your budget is the first question.
vernon

Post by vernon »

Kawai K2 will knock spots off them all if that's in your budget
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

The U1 is a good option If your Son likes a light touch, a lively and energetic tone and you want a piano that will fit very nicely into any room. There are 3 tiers of Yamaha uprights. The B series (for beginners), the P series (for intermediates) and the U series (for taking pupils right through to grade 8 and as far beyond as they want to go).

Ideally, I wouldn't recommend any piano less than about 120cm in height as you lose all of the warmth from the bass and the piano can sound cold and shrill. The extra height allows for longer strings and a bigger soundboard which combine to produce a better tone. The difference in tone between a 120cm piano and a 130cm piano is instantly noticeable when you play one of each side by side. So bear that in mind when considering something as small as 114cm. Some pianos do manage to have a warm sound despite their small size. The Eavestaff Minipiano for example. Good warm sound from a very small cabinet size.

Smaller pianos are like a Fiat Uno: Small, cheap and practical but not ideal if you have a long distance commute or you want a comfortable, powerful ride.

Therefore I think the 110cm K15 and the 114cm K2 are too small to compare with the warmer sound of the slightly bigger Yamaha U1 (121cm)

That said, I do like Kawai pianos too and I'd love to stock the models you mention. Where space is particularly tight they are excellent options.
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)