W Hoffman V131 + 2

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

sjc
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

W Hoffman V131 + 2

Post by sjc »

A dear pupil 's family are buying an upright piano and have narrowed their favourites down to three: W Hoffman V131, Yamaha U3 and Essex 123. I am going with to try them out on Saturday. I can give my opinion as a pianist on sound and touch but not manufacture and anything much to do with their insides! (which the family understand). Do you experts on the inner workings have any views on their relative merits? I would be most grateful.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: W Hoffman V131 + 2

Post by joe »

Are the 3 pianos mentioned all new or used pianos? and whats the budget?
sjc
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by sjc »

The budget was around £6,500, although the Hoffman is £2,500 more than that.
sjc
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by sjc »

..and they're new. Sorry, I'm new to this sort of thing and find it all a bit tricky to navigate..
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Hoffman would be my choice,U3 next then Essex these pianos are all in different price ranges,pianos to compare would try Kawai K3,K5 and K6 and the Steinway designed Boston range of uprights,The Essex is not in the same price or quality bracket as the other 2 brands and the Hoffman seems pricey,Happy hunting should be an interesting fun day best of luck.
sjc
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by sjc »

Thank you, Joe. I've played a couple of Kawais (one grand) and not been over-fond of sound/touch but it could have been the instruments. What would you expect a new Hoffman V131 to cost? That does seem to be the parents' favourite, but I've never met one to date.
James Henderson
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by James Henderson »

Am I correct in thinking Hoffman is to Bechstein what Boston is to Steinway?
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by A440 »

The hoffman would be a good choice. As I'm sure you know, Hoffman are made by Bechstein. You could consider going for a new bechsein but a smaller model. You may be able to find one at the same price. It would certainly be worth trying. You may even find a larger ex-display model within budget. It is worth considering.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Am confused how many Hoffman companies are there? know a dealer who sell Hoffman but is not a Bechstein agent and another with W Hoffman which is made in Korea i think thru the Bechstein-Samick Alliance can someone clarify the position here?
sjc
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by sjc »

The Hoffman is out of the equation. I didn't like the sound and the touch was odd - a lot of key depth before anything happened (don't know the technical term!) It didn't do quiet. £9,000 seemed a very high price.

The front-runner in the extreme top range for them is now a Boston 132 we all tried and was extremely nice. In the next price-bracket, the Yamaha U3s we tried were perfectly serviceable examples of the type, although the family preferred one that had been sold.

I was quite impressed by the Essex, for what it is, as it happens.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Boston 132 is a cracking piano and outshines other makes in or around this price range,in reference to Essex pianos they are decent at around the £5,500 mark and even though made in China are better value under Steinway supervision than other rebranded makes getting imported from China,did you enjoy your day?
sjc
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by sjc »

It was like being let loose in 3 sweet shops. Thank you for your tips. As for my choice, I love my Bosendorfer upright best of all, and hope they will continue to be able to produce beautiful instruments with a little more security now - the posts about Yamaha/Bosendorfer were quite alarming but possibly unfounded. I wasn't given the impression the people making the pianos were anything but relieved about Yamaha when I was lucky enough to visit the factory 2 years ago.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

sjc wrote:It was like being let loose in 3 sweet shops. Thank you for your tips. As for my choice, I love my Bosendorfer upright best of all, and hope they will continue to be able to produce beautiful instruments with a little more security now - the posts about Yamaha/Bosendorfer were quite alarming but possibly unfounded. I wasn't given the impression the people making the pianos were anything but relieved about Yamaha when I was lucky enough to visit the factory 2 years ago.
Bosendorfer i have played and liked where mainly pianos made in the seventies and eighties have not played their latest models and their 1890 to 1950 older pianos are inconsitent and generally find do not recondition well,did once play a 1929 grand in orginal condition which was well looked after and tuned,but do not really understand what people mean by its unique sound.