mascagni pianos.

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

wally13

mascagni pianos.

Post by wally13 »

Hi everyone!

I have just acquired a piano that i'm interested in finding some info about. I have no idea about pianos at all and i can play only a little bit but i'm looking to stick at it to get better as time goes on. The piano has Mascagni inscribed under the keyboard lid (under the sheet music rack). Can anyone help me at all with any information about the possible era and the possible quality etc of these MASCAGNI pianos. I have searched the web and found nothing, so i'm not expecting big things back but it would be nice to know a little bit about my beautiful piano. It has brass side handles and brass key holes and brass candle holders, it also has some intricate cravings throughout. Any thoughts would be great thanks! I will try and post some photos soon! Oh by the way i live in Australia if that helps at all!

Thanks Wally.
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: mascagni pianos.

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

Is it overdamped and straight-strung?
Does it have 85 or 88 keys.
Upload some photos of the outside and inside and we will be much more able to help you.

How does it sound?
Is it clean inside?
Do all the notes work?
Do any notes ring on after you've let go of the key?
Did you get it for free?

:)
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
wally13

Post by wally13 »

Hey, thanks for the quick response, i will have a closer look and get some pics up. All the notes do work and it seems to be in pretty good condition. It has been sitting in a garage covered up for a while i think so it has a bit of dust build up but apart from that it seems pretty clean and sound. I will go out and have another good look at it all and get you some more details! Thanks again!

Wally.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Its not a piano name that 'Alice' springs to mind!!, and could be a 'stencil' piano - that is another name added later, perhaps the retailer's name? Of course with you being about 12,000 miles away, the piano may have been made in Australia, of which we have little contact at that end of the market. Are there any other names inside the piano?

As Mark suggests, its probably over-damped & straight strung by the brass work designs. If you can remove the front board (with the candlesticks attached), the mechanism inside may look like a 'bird cage' - about 65 vertical lift wires, obscuring the hammers etc. - have a look.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Janbeg58

Post by Janbeg58 »

How interesting l also live in Australia and have a beautiful Art Nouveau style upright piano.. Which I am trying to research which also has seemingly no other markings other than Mascagi in gold under the music ledge. Now I know that Mascagni is the surname of an Italian composer of this era (Pietro Mascagni 1882-1945) I can not find any other information at all