Which piano should I buy?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

pianohunter

Which piano should I buy?

Post by pianohunter »

Having read some of the posts and been to a few dealers, I am increasingly confused about what would be the best piano to buy!
Obviously one that I like playing but there are plenty of those and I'd like to get good value for money.

I'd be interested on opinions on the following upright pianos that I've seen:

-New Weinbach for £5000
-New Kemble Conservatoire for £5000
-New Yamaha P121 £4400
-Used Yamaha U3 £2999 (2 pianos, made 1970 and 1972)

Regarding the secondhand Yamaha question - I've read the posts which advise taking a tuner with you, but if this is not practically possible and I don't know much about pianos except what I've researched on the internet and what I enjoy to play, is it safer to just buy a new piano or can I put my trust in a piano dealer regarding a secondhand yamaha? Everyone seems to have such different opinions on this new vs secondhand question!
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Which piano should I buy?

Post by sussexpianos »

In my humble opinion, the Kemble is a good piano and will serve you well. Followed by the Yamaha P121. I haven't tried the Weinbach (used to be Petrof but now built in China with some Petrof parts) but the name isn't well known so future sales value might be an issue.
Others to try Kawai K3 & K5.
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Would agree with sussex pianos better to buy new and Kawai K3, its an excellent piano,other pianos to try are ESSEX and BOSTON range designed by Steinway & Sons best value pianos on the market today and Steinways are offering full buy back policy at price paid minus the v.a.t if you upgrade to Steinway within 10 year period, and that in turn helps the residual value
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

Go for the Kemble.
Kemble King
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Kemble King »

thats a very good price on the Kemble that has been given.
The most AMAZING piano dealer in the UK

Kemble Centre of Excellence also dealer for Kawai, Wendl and Lung and Brodmann pianos
vernon

Post by vernon »

hope this isn't duplicated.

Joe is right and the Kawai s are worth a serious look especially with the carbon fbre action that knocks spots off the opposition.
Pace Steinways offer on Essex and Boston; any good dealer will negotiate a buy back for an upgrade. Steinways have only just disvovered it.
Make sure the dealer is reputable as they may not survive the 10 years guarantee!
I laugh at the cheap 1930s pianos with a "lifetime guarantee against just about everything." They didn't know the war was coming and in any case by then most of them had went.
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

Kemble King wrote:thats a very good price on the Kemble that has been given.
Yep thats so low i would worry about the dealer being around to honour the guarantee in a few years. Or it will be the usual , ohh thats plus vat, delivery, tuning etc etc etc
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Is it not the case that if dealer goes bust the Kemble Company will honour warranties ?
winstonterr

Post by winstonterr »

Hi,
I wanted to buy piano? can anyone suggest me on how to purchase the product? what are the facilities required before purchasing the product?Thanks.