Yamaha U3

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Alice

Yamaha U3

Post by Alice »

Could anyone please explain the differences between Yamaha UX3 and Yamaha U3 to me? What does UX3 with a serial number of 412505 tell us? I'm in the process of buying a factory reconditioned Yamaha U3 and I couldn't quite make up my mind between a SN 3457979 U3 and a SN 412505 UX3. I noticed that not everyone appreciates the UX3 cabinet. Genuine advices are very appreciated. =)
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Yamaha U3

Post by Colin Nicholson »

It is not possible to compare the quality/ tone production/ touch etc. of any piano without actually playing it - only you can decide. There is virtually no difference between the UX3 and U3 in terms of a piano name - except that the UX3 has different bracing for the soundboard - a structure thing, but probably no better than the U3. Even if I play on 2 U3's - both may sound completely different. This is down to the toning of the hammers and how the piano is regulated. As the U3 has a higher serial number - suggesting around 1981 - 1982, the strings will be newer, and a better bass. As pianos get older, the bass sometimes become less effective due to build up of dust in the copper coils.

Also check out the meaning of "factory reconditioned" ?? It is unlikely that the U3 will have been re-strung, but it may have had new hammers (or refaced) fitted. Reconditioning a piano is not necessarily a full restoration - also check the mechanism, new tapes, leathers, dampers.... things like that. It also depends on the price of each piano?

Even comparing the U1 to some U3 pianos, there is little difference. Some have a different shaped cabinet, a lock for the fallboard, and a fallboard with a soft-fall closing mechanism. Just like cars - you pay extra for 'extras' !!

Personally, I go on the tone production, quality of the touch/ hammer voicing/ good bass/ good resonance. Why not check out Kawai aswell - the K2/ K3 are good, and if you have plenty spare cash - try out the K6. Again, some of the models are similar, the K2 has a carbon fibre action - so you pay more money.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

I prefer the U3x as it should have higher grade hammers (some have Mahogany heads making the touch lighter and more responsive). But as Colin says, try them as there are some good ones and bad ones out there. Factory reconditioned means they have brought the piano upto a certain standard (A- or A++ overall) so they might have done a lot or simply polished the case. But make sure the loops have been done! Try and go for the youngest piano as I have seen a number of these instruments with dull sounding bass strings compaired to new.
Personaly I think the Yamaha U series secondhand market a bit up and down in terms of quality.
Try a Perzina 122 or 129 new, I think they are much better value for money than a 30 year old Yamaha with unknown history
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.
faizjoks

Post by faizjoks »

When it comes to the music instrument, my first choice is Yamaha U3. An obvious choice for serious players, music teachers, advanced students and professional musicians these high end pianos are certainly elegant in appearance, pleasant to hold and very satisfying to play. Available worldwide, if you decide to buy new or used, they provide superior piano and is available with an excellent warranty.
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

A warranty is only worth what it says in the small print. If a warranty is given, you should by law have the terms written and given to you so you know what's covered. A verbal is no good. They vary from dealer to dealer.
U3 yamaha vary, some are good , some are not so good. You need to view the piano in person or take someone with you.
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

1. VISIT
Always try to visit in person. Tone does vary from one piano to the next.

2. TAKE YOUR TECH
Take a technician with you. They are worth every piano and they likely won't charge you the earth. They'll know exactly what questions to ask the dealer and exactly which bits of the piano to inspect,

3. PUT THE PIANIST IN CHARGE
Shop around and let the person who is going to be playing the piano be in charge of the decision making. Mum and Dad might be paying but if it's little Olivia that is going to playing it every day, give her a big role in deciding which one to take home.

4. CHECK THE WARRANTY UP FRONT
If a warranty is advertised, ask for a printed version before you hand over any money. Ask question about the details written on the guarantee and if necessary ask the dealer to taylor the warranty to your needs/requests.

5. DON'T RUSH
Allow yourself at least 2 hours to test the pianos available in a particular shop. Request the showroom to yourself during that time if possible. A customer recently stayed in my showroom for 4.5 hours choosing her favourite U3 from those available. Most people take about 90 minutes though.

6. ASK ASK ASK
Write a huge (if necessary) list of all of your fears and concerns and general questions and don't stop asking until you've had full and frank answers to all of them. Don't wait until 2 weeks after delivery before you start getting pushy. You are the customer, you are allowed to be pushy and demanding BEFORE you hand over your money. Don't be shy, be bold!

7. ENJOY!
Have fun. Choosing a piano is usually loads of fun :)

Sorry about the colours, I got a bit carried away there! :lol:
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

8. Dont forget with internet sales distance selling regs apply so if you dont like it in the first (not sure how many weeks ) just ring the dealer up and tell him to collect ( your cost I think) and you want your money back, you dont even have to give a reason, rational or otherwise.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

mdw wrote:8. Dont forget with internet sales distance selling regs apply so if you dont like it in the first (not sure how many weeks ) just ring the dealer up and tell him to collect ( your cost I think) and you want your money back, you dont even have to give a reason, rational or otherwise.
7 days after the good have arrived, in writing, that can be by email. The return cost has to be the same as the outward cost, you can't change them an admin fee or a fee for processing a CC. Not sure how that would work on free delivery.

if the good arrive back damaged tuff. retailers problem not buyers there are exemptions underwear is one

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

mdw wrote:8. Dont forget with internet sales distance selling regs apply so if you dont like it in the first (not sure how many weeks ) just ring the dealer up and tell him to collect ( your cost I think) and you want your money back, you dont even have to give a reason, rational or otherwise.
Excellent point. I'm surprised by how many customers aren't aware of this law or perhaps they assume it doesn't apply for used pianos. The points of interest regarding this excellent law are something like this:

A. 7 DAYS REQUEST
Request that the goods be returned and a refund given. Barrie says this must be requested within 7 days of delivery

B. FULL REFUND INCLUDING DELIVERY
The dealer has to give a full refund including the delivery charge and the dealer must cover all collection costs himself. Every penny handed over must be given straight back. Apparently IKEA are getting around refunded the delivery fee by saying that the customer has taken out a separate contract with a 3rd party company for the delivery. That goes against the spirit of the law but they are apparently getting away with it.

C. MODIFIED PIANOS
The law doesn't apply to pianos that are modified significantly at the customer's request. This would include retrofitted silent systems or repolishing the piano to a different colour. I think I've seen mentions on Harry's site and also on Venables' site that they offer a voicing service to suit the customers' taste and this work is done before delivery. I'm wondering if this would give a dealer reason to ignore the "distance selling" law by claiming that the piano has been modified for the customers.

D. VOID IF YOU VISIT?
I'm assuming that if a customer visits a showroom and then later purchases the piano that he chose, he is not covered by the "distance selling" law. I could be wrong about that but I think that's the case.

E. REFUND TIMESCALE
From memory, I think the dealer has 30 days from the date of the cancellation request to process the refund.
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)