Nathaniel Berry Piano, c.1920s

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

suckafatpianist

Nathaniel Berry Piano, c.1920s

Post by suckafatpianist »

Good evening,

Firstly thanks for letting me join the forum.

My main reason for doing so was to gauge interest on a piano I have recently acquired. I am now looking to sell it.

The couple who donated the item were given a piano a couple of years ago, in a bit of a sorry state - had not been tuned for 10 years. I'm afraid after the initial 3 tunings, they didn't keep it up so whoever takes it will need to have it tuned, and because it is not a particularly wonderful upright as uprights go, it is likely it would need to be tuned more regularly to keep it sounding good!

This piano, I am told is c. 1920 and the wood, possibly mahogany or dark rosewood or at an unbelievable stretch balsa, is not perfect, none the less I think its a good looking piano and the only reason I want to sell it is due to a space issue!

Offers ono £600 welcome - buyer collects from East London.

Regards,
Sunny aka Liszty :piano;
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Nathaniel Berry Piano, c.1920s

Post by Colin Nicholson »

It might be better to advertise your piano where it says "Pianos for Sale by General Public" - on the left hand side of this web page - its free to advertise - rather than this section, which deals mainly with enquiries about pianos. Also I recommend that you upload a photo or 2 of it for it to sell better. It seems there may be "tuning issues" with this piano, and just wondered why you haven't had it tuned yourself?

Anyway, perhaps £600 may be a bit steep if not in good condition, and not tuned for 10 years!
There may also be loose tuning pins if after the 3rd tuning it didn't hold its pitch, and the burden may be passed to you. As you are the owner of this piano now, I would just forget the past and get it tuned - then it might sell better.

Hope that helps
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Nathaniel Berry Piano, c.1920s

Post by Pianomate »

For £600 someone would be expecting your piano to be in good condition and good playing order, probably having being overhauled not too long ago.

Get it tuned and regulated if you want to stand any chance of selling it, and ask the tuners opinion of market value or you could be wasting your time. Remember times are tight at the moment and many people will be reluctant to fork out much. It has been given away the last two times so you've got to ask yourself why it was given and not sold.