Sustain Pedal; Out of Action

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

AntonHinchliffe
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Sustain Pedal; Out of Action

Post by AntonHinchliffe »

Hi uk-piano Forumers!

I've been scanning the web for answer to my problem but I've had no luck. I own a donated geriatric Collard & Collard 1930's Upright, recently tuned and (was) in good working nick apart from a slightly dropped Sustain Pedal. It was never an issue before as the (very thorough) Piano Tuner who last visited a month ago had no query about it. However, I was playing a couple of days ago and heard a crunch inside the piano, followed by the Sustained Pedal becoming inactive. I took off the kickboard to investigate and found a piece of curved metal had snapped off. I'm not good with terminology so I haven't a clue what the part is called, however, I assume it's some sort of spring or pressure support. Whilst scanning the web , I found this site and was wondering if possibly if anyone could help me out by (a) helping me name the part (b) helping me understand the severity of the situation/the scale of repairs (c) what I need to do next.

Thank's for your time!
Anton
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sustain Pedal; Out of Action

Post by Barrie Heaton »

A photo would help

its could be a leaf spring, coil spring or U spring the bracket at the end of the pedal, the pedal bolt all which you tuner should stock or get hold of

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
AntonHinchliffe
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Images >

Post by AntonHinchliffe »

This is the part that has become detatched.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Leaf spring 20min of a job for most tuners a Blind tuner may take longer Of course that all depends on the rocker if the screws are rusted in Then......... Sharpe intake of breath

Should be no problem for you tuner repairs like that workout cheaper if done when the tuner is coming to tune the piano.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Pianomate »

Its a trivial repair but make sure your tuner knows before he turns up to give him chance to source a replacement.