Brinsmead vs Cramer?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Sunnyday

Brinsmead vs Cramer?

Post by Sunnyday »

I'm looking to get a piano to learn on and have been offered two for free. One is a Brinsmead which is apparently quite old 90+ years and was played and regularly tuned until two years ago, but now needs about 6 or 7 wrest pins replacing. The Cramer is of an unknown age but has not been played or tuned in 10 years. I'm happy to spend some money on getting either of these up to scratch but would like advice on which of these is likely to be the better bet? Thanks
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Brinsmead vs Cramer?

Post by Pianomate »

Get hold of the tuner of the Brinsmead and ask him about it as he will be familiar with it. You need to get a tech to have a look as the other as it's like buying a car - you've got to see them to know. Age is irrelevant and both are good makes - it depends on which model it is, whether it's been looked after and how much use / abuse it has had. My thoughts if the first one has loose pins it could require extensive work.

In any case if they are for free you've not lost anything. You could email some photos of the actions and I may be able to help more.
Sunnyday

Post by Sunnyday »

Thanks for the advice. The Brinsmead is being looked at in a couple of weeks by the tuner who has looked after it before, so I will meet and discuss then. Any ideas what a technician would charge for looking at a piano, and how I would find one - or is yellow pages the best bet?
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Pianomate »

Ask the guy who has looked after the Brinsmead.

A basic check over would be a bit less than the cost of a tune.

Depends on the model as well as the make. All makes had budget through to deluxe models.