Yamaha M1J - worth restringing + moving?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

giulianog

Yamaha M1J - worth restringing + moving?

Post by giulianog »

I own a Yamaha M1J upright since 1980. It used to sound very well, it has not been used for 20 years and the mechanical condition should be excellent. It would most likely need rewiring, plus an international move from Italy to the UK. Would there likely be other major work required? Would all this make sense cost-wise? While I know an equivalent piano can be bought at a good price directly in the UK, I hate leaving it abandoned.
Thanks for your comments.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Yamaha M1J - worth restringing + moving?

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The M1J are nice pianos the cost of restringing and shipping it may be better to buy new in the UK

What makes you think it need restringing, the bass do tend to go tuby on older Yamaha's but the steels are quite good on 30 year old yams depending on the use

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
giulianog

Post by giulianog »

Thanks for your comment - the tuning guy suggested to restring. To my hear, bass and trebles are still ok while the sound of the middle section is quite "wobbly" - maybe a partial restringing will do? But I'll first check the transport cost with a mover. Thanks a lot.
g
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Pianomate »

I would definitely get a second opinion on the restringing once you have it.