WELMAR Grand Piano - 1977

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Piano Repair Guy

WELMAR Grand Piano - 1977

Post by Piano Repair Guy »

I am compiling research on a 1977 Welmar Grand Piano in order to complete a full mechanical repair. I'm hoping that you may be able to help me in my search for answers.

Do you know if the size can be determined from the serial number, or is that only a sequential production number? (The piano is in another country.)

Can you suggest a fair market value price range on Welmar Grand Pianos in good working condition? I understand that the value is based on the size. The piano is 5'10" or more.

Thank you in advance, I greatly appreciate any help that you can offer.

Best Regards,
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: WELMAR Grand Piano - 1977

Post by Pianomate »

Welmar are no longer in existence so you would have to track down any company which may have bought them out for any info, but it is unlikely you will have much success.

I'm sure its easier to find the size using a tape measure!

Nobody can give an estimate of price without physically inspecting it and it depends on the cost of your repair work requried to make it good. Your best bet is to look at what others have for sale and pitch your price accordingly.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: WELMAR Grand Piano - 1977

Post by joseph »

Phone Bluthner in London and ask to speak to Rodney or Roger. They were the people responsible for these pianos in those days as far as I know. Welmars were Whelpdale which became the British Piano Manufacturing Company and was bought out by Bluthner in 2003.

The other people you could try are the Leveretts at www.pianorestorations.co.uk because I am sure there are some people working there that would have built that piano in the first place!