Settling in

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Settling in

Post by Moonlight »

Hi people,

Quick question: Does a piano ( new or old ) need a couple of days to settle in and acclimatise when it arrives in its new home? Or is it just safe to go straight in a play it? :)
Gill the Piano

Re: Settling in

Post by Gill the Piano »

Go ahead and play it; but the tuning will be chaotic for a while I expect, particularly in this weird weather...have it tuned a month or so down the road.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
vernon

Post by vernon »

As Gill says, play it, as much as you can then have it tuned later as she recommends. By then any teething troubles will have manifested themselves and the tuner will sort them.
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Thanks a lot for the advice! Oh, don't worry it will be put through it's paces!

:piano; 8)
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Have you bought something then, Moonlight? Don't keep us on tenterhooks!
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

... :wink:

Yes! my new ‘pet’ came yesterday. Reconditioned Bluthner 1900, overstrung overdamper. I had to go all the way to Oxford to try it out a few weeks ago. I just needed to get a piano, I was becoming quite frustrated with my Clavinova but it’s still very useful for night practice, sight reading and for the early stage of learning a new piece.

I have been putting blankets on the poor old beast as the room has been decorated and has hardly any furniture in it so I’m trying in vain to mute the sound a bit! Our nosey old lady neighbour will wonder what it is, need to get some curtains in there!

But it does have a lovely mellow sound great for lyrical pieces that need to sing, not so great for pieces that need a dry staccato unfortunately but I can live with it; and the bass is good too.

At least I can’t moan to my teacher anymore about not being able to play properly because I only have a digital! And I can finally start to learn pedalling technique.

:mrgreen: :piano; 8)
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

If I'd known it was in Oxford I'd have come to have a nose! I like those old Bluthners...I hope you have a lot of fun with it! :)