which veneer?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

alandav123
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

which veneer?

Post by alandav123 »

hi all, i need to repair two small damaged parts of veneer on my frances oeser baby grand made in vienna around 130 years ago.
It has cracked and lifted and has bloomed making a simple glue back impossible.
The veneer is a light color but other than that I have no idea what type wood it is cut from.

The piano is now in a spray shop and will be sealed with a laquer first then primed undercoated and finally top coated, so a perfect veneer match is not critical as I will sand it down after the repair is done.

Just wondered what type of veneer may have been used on these priced pianos at that time in history.

Regards Alan
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: which veneer?

Post by Pianomate »

Seems like you're putting the cart before the horse - you need to fix the veneer BEFORE the piano is lacquered. You wouldn't respray a car before fixing the dents?

Could be just about anything, but common choices were mahogany, rosewood and walnut. A furniture restorer will be able to recognise it.
alandav123
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by alandav123 »

Hi Pianomate, re reading my post I can see that it seems I was going to repair the veneer afterwards which is not the plan. I just typed it in a clumsy way.

It turns out its roaewood by the way.

Regards Alan
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

Shame its being sprayed
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Yes, I wondered why it wasn't being restored to its original state. A polished wood finish is so much more beautiful than black polyester, especially when rosewood has such a wonderful colour and grain.
david g
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by david g »

Rosewood is lovely.