Boston UP126E or Yamahas?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Piano_Buyer_9

Boston UP126E or Yamahas?

Post by Piano_Buyer_9 »

Hi everyone. I'm looking to buy a piano and have had a look at the following makes that were in my price range: Welmar, Weinbach, Boston and Essex. I'm also looking at some Yamahas this weekend (although I've played on them previously, so I know roughly what I'll be seeing).

I wasn't too impressed with the Welmars, Weinbachs and Essex. Ignoring the other very lovely (and very pricey) pianos I had a try of (Bluethner, Ritmuller, etc.), I quite liked the Boston UP126E (which was priced at £6.2k). The Yamahas I'm going to see are the P121G (£5k) and the U1 (£6k).

Assuming I like the Yamahas too, I wonder if anyone (a) had some advice that would help me decide between those two makes (or point me towards other makes I should consider); or (b) could tell me of their experiences with the Bostons/Yamahas mentioned.

In relation to (a), my hesitation with the Boston is that, although it was pretty good, I don't want to be paying for the fact that it's associated with Steinway if it's not actually that great a piano compared to the Yamaha. My instinct is that a Yamaha of the same price would be a better buy just because it's Yamaha's own brand. A potential positive re the Boston is the 10-year trade-up offer (and for these purposes let's just assume that I'll want to get a really really nice piano within 10 years). For a budget around £6k, are Bostons or Yamahas the best I can get?

In relation to (b), it would be great to know about issues like how well they age (e.g., do the keys go weird after a few years - this was an issue with our last piano, a Rieger Kloss), whether they are reasonably resilient to moves, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!
crispin
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Boston UP126E or Yamahas?

Post by crispin »

Well .. the list price in france for a black Boston UP126E is 12 keuros... so a price of 6.2 k£ sounds a pretty good price to me. The Boston is actually made by Kawai ... so certainly you should also look at these. At a list price similar to this Boston in france - there are the Bechstein academy/Zimmermans and the Sauter...

Of course it up to you to play as many pianos as you can... and select a tone and touch you like... Note well that (a) not all tuners are equal (b) Not all retail stores offer the same after sales service ...

Keep us informed of your search...
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

Ive yet to find a Boston I would want in my home ( if I were paying :D ). I think for the money you will get a better Yamaha, Kawai etc and probably have some spare change as well. I personaly wouldnt buy one just so it would hold better value in a few years than a Yam or Kawai ( and thats not certain) . Theres no point sitting playing every day thinking its a bit pants but hey I will get a few quid back in a few years time. If you buy the Yam you will always be able to sell it but its price is dictated by how much they are being offloaded on ebay for. Buy the piano thats right for you, accept the money is gone and enjoy the piano.
vernon

Post by vernon »

Phone Kawai and get your nearest dealer . You'll get a superb K5 for that sort of price with full warranty and setting up,voicing and tuning
If that fails, try me!
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Piano_Buyer_9

Post by Piano_Buyer_9 »

Thank you all for your comments. Each of you has been very helpful, especially in advance of the Yamaha expedition today! I shall have a look at Kawais too. I agree, there's no point splashing out on something just for its future value if I'm not 100% convinced by it. My thinking is now moving towards getting something around the £5k mark that I'll be happy with.

I should correct something I said above - the nice pianos I tried were a Bluethner and a Zimmermann (not a Ritmueller).

Shall keep you posted of developments...
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

Dont forget the big Kembles, nicer case than a Yam, Yam action and nicer sound than a Yam. Plus its a bit classier than a Yam.................... IMO of course :lol: