Problems Kaiwi white key surface

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

steve b

Problems Kaiwi white key surface

Post by steve b »

Hi,

I purchased a new Kaiwi RX3 about 4 months ago and have started to notice scratch marks starting to appear on the white keys.

Does anybody know is their are any reported issues with the material Kaiwi uses for the white keys as it doesn't bode well to start seeing scratch marks so soon.

PS. I keep my nails short and previously owned a Yamaha P200 electric keyboard for 5 years with no sign or scratching on the keys.

Steve
Peter Smith@PSPianos
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Re: Problems Kaiwi white key surface

Post by Peter Smith@PSPianos »

Hi steve b,

I would suggest that you go directly to the company that you bought it from and allow them to solve the problem.
You will have a guarantee with the piano ? Use it and seek a solution.
I assume the solution would go along the route of

1. tell you that all is well or...
2. replacing the key coverings to your satisfaction.

The retailer should be able to put a claim into Kawai for the costs involved.

Under your ' sale of goods act ' it should be in a merchantable condition.

This is a time when you will find out just how good the company you bought it from are.

I wish you well.

Peter
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

the white keys on my brodmann are covered with tiny little scratch marks, i mean, you can't really see them unless the light hits it a certain way. It doesn't bother me, but then my piano gets a lot of use.
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

Slight scratches on the the keys of a piano which has been used (for 3 months in this case, but can happen after a few hours of playing) are an everyday occurence. Unless it can be detemined that there is a problem with the material, which would usually show up in the first instance as a concentration of complaints regarding pianos with similar serial numbers (i.e. there might be a batch of suspect keys), there is unlikely to be any claim under warranty as this would be regarded as fair wear and tear. If Kawai did determine that there is a problem, I would assume that they would instigate some program to deal with the pianos affected.

Another thing to bear in mind, is that many customers buy the piano they actually played at the dealers, which means that the piano would have also been played by numeroous other customers before it was sold.

The claim regarding 'merchantable quality' would only apply if the piano was sold as new & out of the box and the scratches were apparent from the day it was delivered.
athomik

Adrian Thomas Music Services
http://www.adrianthomas.net
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Even on Ivorite, Adrian? :wink:

(I'm just jealous because I can't afford a CF.... :) )
Peter Smith@PSPianos
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Peter Smith@PSPianos »

Hi athomik,

I assume that 'steve b ' is concerned that the 'wear and tear ' i.e.the scratches...

are...

1. easily seen to th eye
2. of concern that after such a short time scale have appeared.

The comments that as the piano would have some use at the showroom isn't really relivant. How long would it need to be 'in-stock ' for the keys to begin to show scratches ? Hours ? If that is possible then clearly the material used isn't correct for the job.

With regard to having a claim under the guarantee....If you don't tell the dealer about your concerns...then the dealer cannot help you.
When you speak to the dealer, it is for him to decide to either pacify you or investigate and find a solution.

It is not really a question of ' are there scratches or not ? ' It's more that steve b has concerns and the dealer has to address these concerns. Steve b paid a great deal of hard-earned- cash for this expensive piano...the least the dealer can do is be there to help.

Steve b has to decide how much of a concern is the key coverings...will the scratches detract from his overall enjoyment of the piano ? Is it worth the time and effort ?

As a piano shop owner and piano tuner, selling new and second-hand pianos, if a customer approached me with a problem, I would do my upmost to ensure that customers like steve b are ' happy '. That means listening to their issues, no matter the size, and working with them towards a solution. It's not that difficult.

If the dealer can't / won't help....his actions or lack of action will highlight just how good he is !

Peter
RWAS
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by RWAS »

I also have a newish (2007) Kawai RX3 grand piano. It receives regular yet moderate playing. I have just checked the white key covers and they are still in pristine condition.
I also keep my fingernails well trimmed and I wash my hands each time before I play the piano.

Kawai's neotex key covers are very durable and I have never heard of any inherent problem with this
material. Indeed no key covers will become scratched if the piano is played appropriately.

Could the keys have been rubbed or dusted with a cloth which has gritty dust particles? Piano finishes including the keys can be damaged by removing dust with vigorous rubbing.

A child playing with a metal toy or object on the keyboard could also inflict scratches without our knowing.

If there is a manufacturing defect, Kawai has an excellent reputation for warranty support and if the scratches occurred while the piano was in the dealer's showroom then there is cause for immediate remedy.

I am delighted with my Kawai RX3 and after two years of playing its sound is opening out beautifully.

Kind regards,

Robert.
I love the piano and its music.