Opinions please on English pianos?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Outofpractice
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Opinions please on English pianos?

Post by Outofpractice »

Hi there

I am looking to buy a piano for the first time. Budget is up to around £2000 and I am looking for a second-hand, good condition upright from a dealer (I like the idea of having a warranty and service back-up).

Have looked at a couple of local dealers and the pianos within my range seem to be English makes: Woodchester, Knight, Chappell.

I'm not really familiar with any of these (I know of Chappell but only really for their sheet music!). If anyone has an opinion (good or bad) on any of these makes, I'd be very grateful to hear from you.

Thanks

Pictures of the pianos in question are here:
http://www.thepianoagency.co.uk/Sales/used.html
http://www.bedhamptonpianoshop.co.uk/pi ... ed_pianos/
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Opinions please on English pianos?

Post by joseph »

Some English pianos are very nice indeed, Chappells from the 1970s and 80s were good, Welmars were consistently excellent and Knights were solidly built pianos. When buying second hand it really depends on the individual instrument. £2000 is a decent budget for a second hand instrument but be careful not to be ripped off.

A new Wendl or Brodmann upright starts at around £2500. It may be worth looking at, but perhaps a higher end English piano would be better if it's been reconditioned. Always get a reputable technician to have a look over any piano, because any second hand instrument can have any number of problems even if it's not that old. Hey, even a brand new piano can have terrible problems, tho this is rare and there is always the manufacturers guarantee, which you don't have with a used instrument.

Good luck, You know it might also be worth calling up Bluthners or Steinways and seeing what pianos they have on offer, A couple of years ago, Bluthners were selling a Schimell 122 or something, it was only 5 years old and had hardly been played. They wanted £2500 to get it out of the door quickly. They also had a Yamaha C3 at one point, 3 years old unplayed, £8000. Guarantee included.
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Pianomate »

If you haven't already, look under the "buying a piano" sections on the forum.

Chappell were a good brand, however, like all makers, they had different models of varying qualities depending on the price.

Bigger is defnitely better as the strings are longer and the sound is better.

You may be aware that there are no longer any major UK manufacturers of acoustic pianos.
RWAS
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by RWAS »

I was brought up around English pianos and I have always loved the better quality ones like Welmar,
John Broadwood, Marshall and Rose, Challen and Knight pianos. Sadly, production of these pianos has stopped although I have seen beautiful samples of Welmar and Marshall Rose from the 80s.
I heartily recommend English pianos although it is essential to have any used piano checked by an independent technician before purchase.

Regards,
Robert.
I love the piano and its music.
flyingaligator1

Post by flyingaligator1 »

that's nice keep it up!! thanks .. :piano; resell rights