Help identifying piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

josette55
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Help identifying piano

Post by josette55 »

Can anyone help with identifying a very small grand piano. My father bought this for my sister in about 1954 and we know he paid £10.00 for it. It has 4 octaves and is 29""wide x 35" deep and stands about 33" tall. The only identification is MIDGET GRAND which is written on the front.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Help identifying piano

Post by PianoGuy »

One of the divisions of Cable & Co in the USA built a Midget Grand, but whether yours is one of these I couldn't tell.
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
josette55
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by josette55 »

Thanks for that, do you know if there is any way of identifying it or if there are any records anywhere? I think the one we have was originally painted dark green and not any type of polished wood, but it has been painted since. I don't know whether it is worth getting it restored or just clean it up and keep it in the corner.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

You might be better off posting this in the 'piano history' thread' Bill there knows an awful lot about these things!
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
josette55
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by josette55 »

Thanks , will do that. Am new to this so thought this was the best option.