Harrods Piano Department

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

emark

Harrods Piano Department

Post by emark »

I was there this evening and they have some great piano's from Fazioli, Bechstein, Yamaha, Hoffman and Petrof. They were getting ready for a Harrods Reward Card 10% off weekend which starts on Friday and they had some big discounts being put on for the weekend. They had 30% to 40% off their Bechsteins plus the extra 10% off if you take a Reward Card out. They are expecting Sauter piano's in the next couple of weeks and there is even talk of Bosendorfer coming in. What a line up.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Harrods Piano Department

Post by PianoGuy »

Well thank you emark for letting us in to this bit of intelligence. So comprehensive one might even imagine you're working for that fugger Fayed himself.
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

emark wrote:I was there this evening and they have some great piano's from .... and Petrof.
Now that *is* news. A great piano from Petrof. Whatever next?
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by A440 »

I'm sorry but...

One Piano
Two or more Pianos

Here's a tip- if you struggle with apostrophes,
just don't bother using them ever and you'll end up being right more of the time!

PS are you suggesting Harrods is a cheap place to shop!?
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Quite right A440. I detest poor grammar, but I'll make allowances if it's not the person's native tongue. Mr Fayed is from Egypt, I think.
PG

markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

.... or dyslexic as is the case for some of the users on this forum.

Don't get too stressed about semantics and grammar! :wink:
vernon

Post by vernon »

not "semantics" neither
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

vernon wrote:not "semantics" neither
That's what I get for checking my spelling on Google!
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

Can someone tell me how the Petrof range has gone up so much in the last year? Who would pay £7k for a 118?? Only a couple of years ago they were around £4,400. I suppose it's to pay for the new stickers inside them " All new pianos need hours of regulation to make them work as they leave the factory un-playable"
Reward cards are mini spys in your pocket. They tell the retailers all your spending habbits so they can target you for specific goods and services and tell their friends all about you. Its a one way ticket to huge junk mail.
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

sussexpianos wrote:Can someone tell me how the Petrof range has gone up so much in the last year? Who would pay £7k for a 118?? Only a couple of years ago they were around £4,400. I suppose it's to pay for the new stickers inside them " All new pianos need hours of regulation to make them work as they leave the factory un-playable"
Reward cards are mini spys in your pocket. They tell the retailers all your spending habbits so they can target you for specific goods and services and tell their friends all about you. Its a one way ticket to huge junk mail.
Is the £7k for a Petrof 118 the sticker price? But would anyone ever really pay that price? I guess they may do at the establishment in the topic.
Many know the high current value of the euro, but I see that in my latest piano mag, the Petrof 118 S1 is currently listed at a little under 6300€ - around £5600.
Incidently the Petrof 118 is one of many uprights just reviewed in a specialized French piano magazine. Now I don't doubt for a minute that all the pianos auditioned were well prepared.
The Petrof was well rated; 4 out of 5 stars given in each catagory- Musicality/Power/Finish/Mechanics - with the additional comment, "The Petrof action with Renner hammers showed itself to be convincing".
However, I agree with Sussexpianos to a large extent that "All new pianos need hours of regulation to make them work as they leave the factory un-playable".
Which reminds me, when trying a new Petrof Grand a year ago, the pedals barely worked, the action was atrocious, and the tone nothing special - dealer didn't give a hoot and this was exhibited on his stand at a summer trade fair!
A similar size Ningbo produced Chinese grand (suitably prepared) on another stand was a delight in comparison.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"