Stronghold Iron Frames

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

stephen thompson

Stronghold Iron Frames

Post by stephen thompson »

Good folk of the Piano Forum

I have recently tuned an ancient upright from the firm Papps of Portsmouth and found several pins unable to hold the
required tension. Adopting the traitional method of pin replacement, I discovered there was no wrest plank, but a gaping void
of about one and a half inches deep. Further inspection revealed the phrase "Patent Stronghold Iron Frame" on the
makers plaque situated on the fall. The piano trade has over the course of its history thrown up many patent ideas to vex the
unwary tuner, but this is the first time I have come across this particular variation.

Can anyone offer solutions to an effective method of pin replacement and offer further insight to this system.

Yours sincerely
Sephen Thompson
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Stronghold Iron Frames

Post by Barrie Heaton »

That's a new one on me, so how do they hold

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
vernon

Post by vernon »

Are the pins threaded like some old Broadwoods and Brinsmeads?
Like Barrie, it's a new one on me.
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I've tuned one...or had a go at it, anyway. Most odd; it was two iron frames in effect, with slightly elliptical holes and the two 'frames' exerted tension in different directions on the pin, or something. I vaguely remember asking Bill on the history forum - or maybe off forum, can't remember - but he did have a little info on them, I think. Ask him nicely!
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Gill the Piano wrote:I've tuned one...or had a go at it, anyway. Most odd; it was two iron frames in effect, with slightly elliptical holes and the two 'frames' exerted tension in different directions on the pin, or something. I vaguely remember asking Bill on the history forum - or maybe off forum, can't remember - but he did have a little info on them, I think. Ask him nicely!

were the pins jumpy on the one you did Gill ? I assume the pins were OK on yours

Sephen is there any way of off setting the two frames more, to add more friction.
Love to see one did you take any photos

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

It was a complete sod to tune, yes, as the pin shot past where it ought to be.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

There are loads still around.

The secret is to lift the pin slightly so the grip is released, and the pin moves nice and smoothly. since the pins all have a distinctly raised attitude to start with, a Blüthner lever with a good angled head helps.
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.