Help an old piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Post Reply
rvalacas
New Member
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: 14 Sep 2009, 18:37

Help an old piano

Post by rvalacas » 15 Sep 2009, 03:36

Dear Piano Forum people

I am a new subscriber to your interesting forum and I am hopping to find help to restore an old piano inherited by my sister. This piano belonged to our mother and she used to play classical music with exceptional talent and grace and now, after many years of service, this piano is having a big problem. The piano is a ZEITTER & WINKELMANN Kitzingen, Main, Germany vertical, about 1920

In the neighbourhood where my sister lives they had a big flood recently and the piano was affected by the muddy water.

My sister was able to clean up the piano, but it can’t play any more, if we can’t restore it she will have to dispose of it along with many valuable items that were damaged on the flood.

We hope that you can offer us some help to find where or who can repair it and also help to collect some funds to do so, my sister and I are retired people with small pension, we can not afford to repair it in other way.

Thank you very much. This is my very first time in this forum. I just registered minutes ago


rvalacas
Last edited by markymark on 15 Sep 2009, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from DIGITAL PIANOS forum

User avatar
chrisvenables
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster
Posts: 237
Joined: 03 Feb 2009, 16:31
Location: Hampshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Help an old piano

Post by chrisvenables » 15 Sep 2009, 19:59

Sorry to hear the bad news. A close friend of mine specialises in flood damaged pianos, I'm sure he will be able to help you.

You can contact him through his web site:

www.gordonbellpianos.com
Yamaha Piano Main Dealer since 1981. www.chrisvenables.co.uk

Kemble King
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster
Posts: 253
Joined: 23 Feb 2009, 20:57
Location: Aberdeen
Contact:

Re: Help an old piano

Post by Kemble King » 16 Sep 2009, 00:00

yes, sorry to hear about the damage that has happened to your piano.

We had 22 pianos written off last week due to flood damage in the basement of our shop. If there is anything that you would like to know regarding having it accessed for insurance purpose or repair, please feel free to contact me.

Regards

Gordon Bell
The most AMAZING piano dealer in the UK

Kemble Centre of Excellence also dealer for Kawai, Wendl and Lung and Brodmann pianos

Peter Smith Pianos
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Posts: 39
Joined: 04 Jul 2009, 10:53
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Help an old piano

Post by Peter Smith Pianos » 16 Sep 2009, 11:32

rvalacas wrote:Dear Piano Forum people

I am a new subscriber to your interesting forum and I am hopping to find help to restore an old piano inherited by my sister. This piano belonged to our mother and she used to play classical music with exceptional talent and grace and now, after many years of service, this piano is having a big problem. The piano is a ZEITTER & WINKELMANN Kitzingen, Main, Germany vertical, about 1920

In the neighbourhood where my sister lives they had a big flood recently and the piano was affected by the muddy water.

My sister was able to clean up the piano, but it can’t play any more, if we can’t restore it she will have to dispose of it along with many valuable items that were damaged on the flood.

We hope that you can offer us some help to find where or who can repair it and also help to collect some funds to do so, my sister and I are retired people with small pension, we can not afford to repair it in other way.

Thank you very much. This is my very first time in this forum. I just registered minutes ago Would not reccomend any sort of repair if piano and action parts have been affected by water,check house insurance to see if piano is covered on policy and find out if insurance is "new for old" or "like for like".


rvalacas
Yamaha and Kawai Main Dealers.Nationwide delivery.Contact 0141 887 6160 www.petersmithpianos.co.uk

Peter Smith Pianos
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Posts: 39
Joined: 04 Jul 2009, 10:53
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Help an old piano

Post by Peter Smith Pianos » 16 Sep 2009, 12:37

Piano would be better not to be repaired as in most cases water/flood damage is irrepairable,check house insurance to see if covered most policies are "new for old" or "like for like"the cost outweighs any point,better using insurance money to buy another instrument.
Yamaha and Kawai Main Dealers.Nationwide delivery.Contact 0141 887 6160 www.petersmithpianos.co.uk

User avatar
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3996
Joined: 30 May 2003, 20:42
Location: Lanc's
Contact:

Re: Help an old piano

Post by Barrie Heaton » 16 Sep 2009, 17:20

If she is insured and you have new for old get a tuner to write a report the cost of repair will exceed the replacement value on most pianos if they have stood in water.

The get out clause for most insurance is the limit you have on a single item if the replacement or repair exceeds that amount which it will that is all you will get or nothing as you have not named the piano on the insurance

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page

Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster
Posts: 275
Joined: 27 Nov 2008, 18:35

Re: Help an old piano

Post by Pianomate » 20 Sep 2009, 23:28

Make sure your tuner is aware he is giving a valuation for insurance / repair / replacement purposes and not for selling it.

Check your policy and if in doubt obtain expert advice before filing your claims (for ALL your flood damaged items, not just the piano). Bear in mind the insurance company will probably send a loss adjuster round to survey the damage.

Don't dispose of any flood damaged items you are planning on claiming for until the insurance company has stated that you may do so, or they may not pay out. It is normal for a loss adjuster to have to inspect a damaged item before a claim is approved.

If you're wanting rid of the stuff quickly, ask you insurance company what arrangements for storage they can approve pending viewing by the loss adjuster - that usually gets them round quickly.

Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster
Posts: 156
Joined: 09 Nov 2008, 11:28

Re: Help an old piano

Post by Model V » 21 Sep 2009, 22:03

chrisvenables wrote:Sorry to hear the bad news. A close friend of mine specialises in flood damaged pianos, I'm sure he will be able to help you.

You can contact him through his web site:

http://www.gordonbellpianos.com
Kemble King wrote:We had 22 pianos written off last week due to flood damage.
He does now :cry:

User avatar
chrisvenables
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster
Posts: 237
Joined: 03 Feb 2009, 16:31
Location: Hampshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Help an old piano

Post by chrisvenables » 22 Sep 2009, 22:48

Model V - that was quick!...
Yamaha Piano Main Dealer since 1981. www.chrisvenables.co.uk

Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster
Posts: 156
Joined: 09 Nov 2008, 11:28

Re: Help an old piano

Post by Model V » 22 Sep 2009, 22:56

Eh?

User avatar
chrisvenables
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster
Posts: 237
Joined: 03 Feb 2009, 16:31
Location: Hampshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Help an old piano

Post by chrisvenables » 22 Sep 2009, 23:35

He did then!
Yamaha Piano Main Dealer since 1981. www.chrisvenables.co.uk

Post Reply