Would love some advice on what to do!

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Meddy

Would love some advice on what to do!

Post by Meddy »

Hello everyone, this is my first post! It's nice to 'meet' you all. I've been up all night pondering this question and this seems the right place to maybe get some friendly advice.

Basically, I started piano as an adult learner about 10 years ago - kept it up for only 2 years and was studying for Grade 5 when I stopped. I stopped because, well, I fell in love and started a family and didn't have much time any more! But I've still got my piano, a lovely 1960s Broadwood upright, and play now and then - unfortunately I've been unable to set up a proper regular practice because (a) it's in our only 'living room' so I have to ask everyone to turn the TV and computer off if I want to play (b) if I play when the kids are awake they try to 'help' by banging whatever keys they can reach or they ask me to get them a drink JUST while I'm in the middle of a tricky passage...! (c) if I play when the kids are asleep I'll probably wake the kids AND upset the neighbours.

But I'm DESPERATE to start playing regularly again. So basically, I think it's time for a digital. However, what I can't decide is whether to sell my existing piano and get a Clavinova (based on the fact that selling the acoustic will give me some money to put towards the digital) or keep the acoustic and buy a cheaper digital like a Yamaha P85, which I could stick upstairs in the bedroom for me to use when I need to play during antisocial hours.

I'm guessing that you're all going to tell me to keep the Broadwood! But if I did that, would the P85 do the job for me as an additional piano or would I get fed up with it and end up craving a Clavinova instead anyway? If you really think it's worth it I suppose I could hammer the savings a bit more and get a Clavinova without selling the acoustic but I'd rather spend as little as I need to really! When all's said and done I probably don't need anything superduper as I am a very poor player, esp. at the moment! (But I'll get Grade 8 one day, I will, I will!!!)

Thanks very much
Meddy
Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Would love some advice on what to do!

Post by Model V »

My view would be to get a digital, keep it upstairs, but don't sell your much loved acoustic.

I have never played a digital which wasn't rather fatiguing to play for any length of time, nor one which gave me much musical satisfaction to play. However, I have owned one in the past for the purpose of practising and it was jolly useful for learning notes.

MV.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Keep the Broadwood - you wouldn't get much for it these days anyway - and get a plastic one to play on when you can't play the Broadwood. Or trade the Broadwood in for a silent (proper) upright with a digital facility. Most decent piano movers would be able to move an upright piano upstairs away from the trolls and the telly...:) It's a lot easier to move kids, tellies and computers than a piano, though...
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Meddy

Post by Meddy »

Thanks for the advice! It helped me realise what I really want and I'd like my Broadwood to stay with me until it dies - I've been stroking and kissing it all day! :) I have a feeling that I wouldn't get as much for it as I think it's worth (to me!) which makes it easier to say, "Well, no point selling it then". So you've confirmed where my heart lies.

However, I think I'll raid the kids' college fund for a Yamaha P155 rather than the P85 after reading around the subject. So I get to enjoy a new piano, plus my old piano, in exchange for a massive slug of guilt for being too spendy. We will have to live off corned beef and dandelion greens for the next year... sigh.

Also had to LOL at the thought of moving the kids, husband, telly and computer upstairs and stick them all in the box room in a noisy pile while I enjoy a nice bit of peace to play downstairs. I wouldn't be a popular Mum but it would be great from my point of view!