diapason and yamaha u2

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

MA. CECILIA M. DE MESA
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

diapason and yamaha u2

Post by MA. CECILIA M. DE MESA »

just heard the brand diapason. a piano seller just called me. he told me that hea has a piano for sale, a u2, and diapason. he also told me that kawai is the maker of diapason. i know there are lots of piano experts here on this forum who can help me decide what piano to buy. is the yamaha U2 much better than the U1? and how about Diapason? is it a nice brand since its maker is kawai? please give me feedbacks, suggestions about these 2 pianos.... i would surely appreciate your response/s. thank you.
Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: diapason and yamaha u2

Post by Model V »

I notice your user name is all in upper case letters and your post is entirely lower case. Is your computer broken, perhaps?

MV
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Ma. Cecilia is from the Philippines and always posts like that. We're kinda used to it!

:-)
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Model V »

Got it. Anyway I was in error as ther is clearly a capital D half way through line 3 of the OP.

Anyway, enough off topic silliness from me.

Can anyone help this poster by identifying the Diapason brand?

MV
chrisvenables
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisvenables »

Diapason have a good reputation as a middle of the road Japanese piano but as they were never seriously distributed in the UK it would be difficult to advise. Originally the Hamamatsu Piano Co and now made by Kawai is all I know.

Most piano sales in the Phillipines are grey market pianos of which many are rebuilt, frames resprayed and given different serial numbers. So a 30 year old Yamaha could be given a 10 year old serial number. So my advice, to be safe, is buy new with a manufacturer's warranty.
Yamaha Piano Main Dealer since 1981. www.chrisvenables.co.uk
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

MA. CECILIA M. DE MESA wrote:just heard the brand diapason. a piano seller just called me. he told me that hea has a piano for sale, a u2, and diapason. he also told me that kawai is the maker of diapason. i know there are lots of piano experts here on this forum who can help me decide what piano to buy. is the yamaha U2 much better than the U1? and how about Diapason? is it a nice brand since its maker is kawai? please give me feedbacks, suggestions about these 2 pianos.... i would surely appreciate your response/s. thank you.
Hello MA,
The Diapason brand is Japanese, apparently well-made - and I've read somewhere by Kawai - but wouldn't swear to this. I've never seen or played one, so unable to compare with Yam U1 or U2.
Have you done an extensive Google search for 'Diapason Piano'?
I recall seeing this some time ago which might help you - especially if you know someone who speaks Japanese :roll:
http://www.diapason.co.jp/
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
piano heads
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by piano heads »

chrisvenables wrote:Diapason have a good reputation as a middle of the road Japanese piano but as they were never seriously distributed in the UK it would be difficult to advise. Originally the Hamamatsu Piano Co and now made by Kawai is all I know.

Most piano sales in the Phillipines are grey market pianos of which many are rebuilt, frames resprayed and given different serial numbers. So a 30 year old Yamaha could be given a 10 year old serial number. So my advice, to be safe, is buy new with a manufacturer's warranty.
Had a customer the other week who was offered a U1 9 years old allegedly for £2,200,which on closer inspection was a U10B at 23 years old which had the recon done in China,not the wholesalers problem,but the people trying to false sell,persom bought a smaller new Japanese piano with full manufacturers warranty and peace of mind.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

piano heads wrote:
chrisvenables wrote:Diapason have a good reputation as a middle of the road Japanese piano but as they were never seriously distributed in the UK it would be difficult to advise. Originally the Hamamatsu Piano Co and now made by Kawai is all I know.

Had a customer the other week who was offered a U1 9 years old allegedly for £2,200,which on closer inspection was a U10B at 23 years old which had the recon done in China,not the wholesalers problem,but the people trying to false sell,persom bought a smaller new Japanese piano with full manufacturers warranty and peace of mind.
And there was me thinking "ringing" only went on in the used car market.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

joe wrote: And there was me thinking "ringing" only went on in the used car market.
its always been done I remember back in the 80 going to a Bentley the client telling me they have got it form X full restored and it was only 20 years old. I got there and it had Bentley on the fall and very nicely polished and a tone flat with lose pins now way would it come up. But inside it was a straight strung over damper with Crane & Sons on the frame c1930s I pointed this out she said that she would ring them on Monday.

A week or so passed and I phoned her out of interest. She was off hand with me tell me I did not know what I was taking about, as the sale person told her that the pinao was a special edition made to be tuned to B flat so that you can play with a brass band and that Crane & Sons made the frames for Bentley never went again Some sale men are good

did one a few years back different shop a Yamaha U1 when I finished the piano she asked me what it was like I said for its age its not a bad piano and at lest the loops were intact. She told me that the piano was X demo and only 2 years old that is what the sale man said I pointed out that it was about c1969 she asked me to confirm which I did she go on to TS and got her money back now has a very nice U3.

Were there is money involved some will take advantage That is why was say get an independent tuner to look at a second-hand piano from anywhere you are going to buy from

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Barrie Heaton wrote:
joe wrote: And there was me thinking "ringing" only went on in the used car market.
its always been done I remember back in the 80 going to a Bentley the client telling me they have got it form X full restored and it was only 20 years old. I got there and it had Bentley on the fall and very nicely polished and a tone flat with lose pins now way would it come up. But inside it was a straight strung over damper with Crane & Sons on the frame c1930s I pointed this out she said that she would ring them on Monday.

A week or so passed and I phoned her out of interest. She was off hand with me tell me I did not know what I was taking about, as the sale person told her that the pinao was a special edition made to be tuned to B flat so that you can play with a brass band and that Crane & Sons made the frames for Bentley never went again Some sale men are good

did one a few years back different shop a Yamaha U1 when I finished the piano she asked me what it was like I said for its age its not a bad piano and at lest the loops were intact. She told me that the piano was X demo and only 2 years old that is what the sale man said I pointed out that it was about c1969 she asked me to confirm which I did she go on to TS and got her money back now has a very nice U3.

Were there is money involved some will take advantage That is why was say get an independent tuner to look at a second-hand piano from anywhere you are going to buy from

Barrie
And there was me thinking Hunt Pianos where out of business.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

joe wrote:

And there was me thinking Hunt Pianos where out of business.
They got told off for their Lluthner with a very ornate L which made it look like Bluthner but they were very good at putting the wrong name on pianos but that was not the company I had in mind Hunts had long gone by then

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

What about "Pruthner" ?

A bit of near passing -off by the Toyo Piano Co, AFAI recall...
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Seen a Knight K10 with a Challen fallboard perfectly engineered to fit,say no more.
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

I knew of a dealer who used to rip out the whole damper system of an overdamped piano so that he could pretend it was an underdamper and sell it for more. It seems a short-sighted way to do business to me.

But yes, Kawai make the Diapason. They also made Marchen, Emperor and Royal pianos
Yamaha of course made the Kaiser, Eterna, Miki. There are plenty of Eterna pianos knocking about but not so many Kaiser or Miki pianos.
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

When the loopy chap on eBay lived near here, he would sell Letrasetted 'Stienway' pianos... :mrgreen:
I play for my own amazement... :piano;