Restoration advice

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

emo

Restoration advice

Post by emo »

Please don't send abuse - I know I won't get my money back - but this piano has sentimental value, so I want to get it fixed up, without damaging it's original character and authenticity.

I need advice on where to get this work done and an indication of how much I can expect to pay...

I live in Cheshire and have recently acquired an old Neumeyer upright overstrung under damped piano (numbered 8980) from around 1915. It has not been played a great deal for around 20 years or more and is not too out of tune.

It has a nice rosewood (I think) case, that has faded significantly, with some very nice veneer inlay in the top panel, brass candle sticks and nice brass pedals. The case has minor chips to the veneer on the feet, which would need attention.

Although it does have some significant woodworm in parts, which I have done my best to treat, I don't believe that it is so bad that it can not be cured and a second professional treatment would be good. As I have taken the piano apart I have become aware that there is a little infection in the sound board, which I can't easily get at, and I am very conscious that I must kill it all off. I have also noticed that there is some splitting of the soundboard which I guess will need treating - is this possible?

The action is generally ok, but I guess could do with an overhaul as a few of the hammers do not return fully.

The work required is therefore:
Basic overhaul of the action (reface hammers etc.)
Full treatment to cure woodworm.
Soundboard splits fixed?
Case restoration to original colour - including French Polish? (everyone says a laquer finish but this looks dull - I think it may have been varnished originally - what is recommended?)
Basic Retune - although I appreciate that this will need to be repeated once the piano has settled.
Transport from/to Congleton, Cheshire.

Anything else?
For instance, how much is a re-string and is it necessary?

What guarantee can I expect?

emo.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Hi First the woodworm
If it is in the soundboard then there is a good chance it is in the keys I have restored lots of old pianos with quite a big infatuation the only real way to get them all is to call in some like Rent a Kill they will take it away or bag it up and gas the worms. Not cheep but if you are keen then you can do it your self I restored one 9 years a go where the client did all the woodworm treatment and it has not come back we had to make 3 new keys and a new bottom board. (That the place where the pedals are fix to)

Splits in soundboard are not a problem if they are not buzzing most pianos in the UK get splits and most are not a problem. However, if you do need the
soundboard fixing then the piano will need re-stringing if you are going to that expense then you may as well have the hammers re-covered or replaced and your key will need re-bushing

True French Polishing can be quite expensive

I would normally advise not to have the work done (you can buy a new one for what it cost) However, because the piano is of sentimental value I would still advise you paying a local tuner to go and inspect the piano.

To give you some idea on what you can spend the last one I just did was just short of 2,500 and the one before that was 3,000 both were re-strung new hammers and action fully re-conditioned on top of that you have moving costs

Now who ! first you are out of my area and my workshop is nearly all booked up till Jan2004

You need to get 3 quotes and get them to itemise what they are doing for your money as to guarantee I give 2 to 5 years but some don't give guarantees

In Cheshire you have
Cheshire Pianos 01925 757969 cheshirepianos@aol.com
Gabore Pianos (normally only Grands) 01625 871 092 info@gabor-pianos.co.uk
Tostevins nevile@tostevinspianos.co.uk

Country wide (good but expensive)
Bluthner Workshops London whelpdle@globalnet.co.uk
Morleys London Julia Morley jvm@morley-r.u-net.com
Barry Caradine http://www.caradine.co.uk/

Hope this is of some help

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
emo

Post by emo »

That's great advice thank you.

I have all the keys off and treated - There was only one with very minor traces or infestation - less than 6 holes!

The gasing sounds like good advice and if I could do it myself I would - but I'm not sure who to get the gear from. I'll try rent-o-kil.

I'll contact the people you recommend for quotes.

Many Thanks,

emo.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I would not like to attempt the gassing bit at home but you can get some good spray kits with long probe like WD40 ones you put the probe down each hole and
give a squirt long job - However, you must tell the person who is going to do the work that you have sprayed the piano you will need good mask Not a dust mask but a respirator

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Melodytune

Post by Melodytune »

Certainly I agree with all the advice given by Barrie here.

I can certainly highly recommend Tostevins for inspection of your piano (if you haven't spoken to them already). For reference the telephone number (office hours) is 01782 617081.

Regards
Chris Melloy
Piano Tuner