Buzzzzz

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

bart
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Buzzzzz

Post by bart »

Hello, I wonder if anyone could explain something to me. I have a new K2 and I am generally very happy with it. However, every now and then, a random key will "buzz" whenever played. This goes on for a few days, and then the buzz disappears, for no obvious reason. Then, say a month later, the buzz will appear again, perhaps at a different key. Again, it simply disappears after a few days.

Is this unusual? What is the explanation.

Thanks

Bart
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Buzzzzz

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Kids photos on top of the piano then :lol:

Buzzing can be a pain on all pianos, most are sympathetic vibrations which can come from a wide range of bits on and off the piano. make a note of each note that is Buzzing When the tuner come to tune point them out and you can bet that on that day there will be no buzz . keeping a note of which are buzzing it will give them a paten and that will help

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Peter Smith Pianos
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Peter Smith Pianos »

Buzzes can be hard to trace,would have your piano tuner check soft fall mechanism behind fallboard and tighten screws,had a couple and traced the noise to that part of the piano.
Yamaha and Kawai Main Dealers.Nationwide delivery.Contact 0141 887 6160 www.petersmithpianos.co.uk
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Make a note of the weather on 'buzzy' days too; sometimes a dry day (or dry conditions in the house) will result in a rattle.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

Always best to start with the removal all panels. This will eliminate that area. Then it is a case of getting someone to play the note hard repeatedly while you hunt for it. Its a pain to do a tuner is used to it.
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.
vernon

Post by vernon »

Although you may clearly hear the buzz IN the piano it may in fact be elsewhere in the room.
Having removed all the panels as previously advised and the buzz persists,go round the round while someone plays the offending note and touch any likely suspects. The most common suspects are electric fires, pictures and ornaments etc.
In old pianos, check the beading on the back securing the backing cloth.
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk