Used yamaha U1 or new yamaha P121

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Jose*

Used yamaha U1 or new yamaha P121

Post by Jose* »

Hello,

I'm going to buy a piano. I've been playing in some Yamahas and I liked the sound and the action. The models I chose as good options were a P121 (new) and an U1 (used). The used one is a 4 millions and seems to be in good shape, but as I'm just starting I'm really lost in used pianos. The seller told us that the U1 was made and used in Japan, and I don't know if it's good or not :wink:. It's about 4300€.

The another option to consider is a new P121, although I'm not sure if I'll have enough with it to study in the conservatory at a more advanced level. It's about 5000€ (negotiable)

Which do you think it's better??

Thank you from Madrid.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Used yamaha U1 or new yamaha P121

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Jose* wrote:Hello,

I'm going to buy a piano. I've been playing in some Yamahas and I liked the sound and the action. The models I chose as good options were a P121 (new) and an U1 (used). The used one is a 4 millions and seems to be in good shape, but as I'm just starting I'm really lost in used pianos. The seller told us that the U1 was made and used in Japan, and I don't know if it's good or not :wink:. It's about 4300€.

The another option to consider is a new P121, although I'm not sure if I'll have enough with it to study in the conservatory at a more advanced level. It's about 5000€ (negotiable)

Which do you think it's better??

Thank you from Madrid.
Wile less than 4 million Yamaha have known problems loops ect I have 10 year old U1s on my round that I would not recommend as it has been played to death. Any second hand piano need to be looked at by an independent tuner

The P121 has the same components as the U1 except for the soundboard and bass strings but its made in a different place, if the P121 has been preped well then it should outshine the 20 year old U1

The other factor is were you live, as the U1 was made and used in Japan there could be issues with tuning stability on the tuning pins With the P121 you do have the 5 year guarantee as well.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

I'd be tempted to go for the new piano in this instance. Chris Venables will have a better answer as he's sold Yamaha pianos for ages.
chrisvenables
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisvenables »

I can't better Joseph's and Barrie's replies - they're both totally right.

Just to expand on Barries point that the P121 has the same components as the Japanese U1 except for the soundboard - you can have a UK built U1 which has the same soundboard as the P121. The latest UK built U1 and P121G now have the Strunz Bavarian spruce soundboard, which, if anything, gives the pianos are richer deeper bass than the U1 Japanese model.
Yamaha Piano Main Dealer since 1981. www.chrisvenables.co.uk
Peter Smith Pianos
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Peter Smith Pianos »

Agree with most of the posters comments,but do find Yamaha P121 very bright in tone even after full prepp and they have a tendacy after year or two to regain brightness.Alway have to overtone them and "hard tune"before delivery so as they stay in tune.Regards used Yamaha U1 Barrie answered tread.Worth trying to play a Kawai K3 as in our opinion beats the Yamaha hands down in quality and price,and does not require attention to detail when being bespoke prepared for customer.Maybe Chris can answer this question why Yamaha pianos have no written warranty document for new acoustic instruments.Kawai offer full 10 year warranty on all new piano purchases.
Yamaha and Kawai Main Dealers.Nationwide delivery.Contact 0141 887 6160 www.petersmithpianos.co.uk
chrisvenables
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisvenables »

Hello James: Re P121 - we find deep toning does the trick and lasts as long as on any other Yamaha model where underfelted hammers are fitted.

Adrian 'athomik' Thomas of Yamaha UK is really the one to answer the Q re written guarantees, as I'm just an independent retailer.

Yamaha do have a written guarantee which is valid for all their instruments, acoustic and electrical, but you need to ask Yamaha for a supply of them. Yamaha probably think the name is guarantee enough. With ' consumer statutory rights' and all that, a written guarantee is in only addition to those legal rights and the onus is on the dealer in the first instance anyway.

In 30 years of retailing new pianos, my experience is that if a piano has a 'poor quality components, a manufacturing defect or bad workmanship' (guarantee terminology) it shows up within the first 5 years. Can't recall ever having to replace or repair parts on a new piano once it's gone past the first 5 years unless in a music school or concert hall where they take a hammering.

Best wishes.
Yamaha Piano Main Dealer since 1981. www.chrisvenables.co.uk
Peter Smith Pianos
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

In many years selling Yamaha we have never had to return piano to Milton Keynes due to any mechanical or design fault,also applies to other brands we retail.Never had to return or refund on used pianos either,if you sell the right instruments the rest takes care of itself,that why anti-chinese,one problem after another,thats why we stay well clear.
Yamaha and Kawai Main Dealers.Nationwide delivery.Contact 0141 887 6160 www.petersmithpianos.co.uk
Peter Smith@PSPianos
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Peter Smith@PSPianos »

Peter Smith Pianos wrote:In many years selling Yamaha we have never had to return piano to Milton Keynes due to any mechanical or design fault,also applies to other brands we retail.Never had to return or refund on used pianos either,if you sell the right instruments the rest takes care of itself,that why anti-chinese,one problem after another,thats why we stay well clear.
I must correct the quote above.

How many years is he suggesting ? The last 5 or 10 years ?

Anymore than that and He's completely wrong !

When my Father( who passed away Aug 1992 ) and I ran the company of P.Smith & Son we returned more than 1 piano to Yamaha. I should also mention that we also returned new pianos to other manufactures.

I would suggest that the ' poster ' should check his facts first before he makes a statement of fact, instead of talking from a position of ignorance !

We would return a piano because we were extremely fussy about what the manufaturer thought he could get away with. I remember the Yamaha rep. Paul Donaldson (who was only a wee boy in shorts) astonished by these ' Scottish ' people sending a piano back !- yes, and we did it agian. It's was a valuable lesson learned. Yamaha sent the next piano to us, ensuring that everything was good, Brian Kemble and Peter Corney ( I think that's his name ) even made a special journey to make sure everything was fine !...Keeps them on their toes.

Anyhow, the statment made by the poster is incorrect ! Get your facts right or say nothing at all !

Good luck !

:piano;
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

can somebody open the window please, it's a bit stuffy in here.....
Peter Smith Pianos
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Already heating up if you view other post,not the medium for this maybe should open an Agony Aunt forum.
Jose*

Post by Jose* »

Ok, thank you!! I'll probably buy the P121 new (I prefer not to take the risk of the used) but I've just one more doubt: I've seen the possibility of the silent with the piano (my neighbours could excruciate me if I play very much... :piano; ) Does it damage the piano in something or not?? It's cuz I've played with it and it seems to be pretty useful...any opinions??? Thank you again.
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

If you buy a factory fitted system ( as you would get with the P121), you shouldn't have any problems. The P121 Silent is basically exactly the same piano as the non-silent version. There is a good chance that the piano will outlast the silent system as electronic parts become difficult to get hold of, but on Yamaha pianos, the system is pretty reliable and you'll probably still be able to get the electronics fixed 10 years from now.
athomik

Adrian Thomas Music Services
http://www.adrianthomas.net
Jose*

Post by Jose* »

Ok. I'll choose the P121 with silent better for me and my neighbours. I think it's the best option I can afford.

Thanks