Adjustable piano stool recommendations

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

winkybag99
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Adjustable piano stool recommendations

Post by winkybag99 »

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a solid piano stool with a wide range of adjustment? Ideally not wanting to spend £150. There's a lot of choice out there and there's much cheaper on the internet than I can find in my local shops.

Any advice welcome,

Ben
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Adjustable piano stool recommendations

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Most stools adjust in the range of
# Height 58cm
# Lowest 48cm
# Height 22.5"
# Lowest 18.5"

if you watched the opening night of the proms the 2 ladles were sat on Tozer 5028B but they will cost a tad more than you wanted to spend

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

You have to decide how long you want the stool to last. Much more than 2-3 years then buy a Tozer or John Austin. If only short term then go bolt on leg. They are cheap because they are c**p. Or go to your local auction and buy an old stool and refurb it yourself.
winkybag99
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by winkybag99 »

Without wanting to sound too tight, it's £200+ for either the basic adjustable Tozer or John Austin models. Has anyone had a good experience with something a bit less expensive?

Thanks again,

Ben
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

winkybag99 wrote:Without wanting to sound too tight, it's £200+ for either the basic adjustable Tozer or John Austin models. Has anyone had a good experience with something a bit less expensive?

Thanks again,

Ben
the FN5012 piano stoolsupplied by Tozer made in Italy is a nice stool for the price has bolt on legs but the rise and fall system is the same as their expensive ones. if if its fixed legs them FN-5099F supplied by Tozer has fixed legs and is a very strong stool both are in your price range and are on this sites shop and other sites

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
winkybag99
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by winkybag99 »

That's more like it... will have to think whether to splash out on fixed legs or not!

Ben
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I have one of the FN5012 upstairs for a dressing table stool what I did before bolting the legs on I put a bit of glue on the legs were the joints met, bolt on legs became fixed legs never had a problem of the legs coming loose and the wife and darter rock back and forward and stand of in to get into the top of the wardrobe had it about 5 years.

Also don it for a few of my clients who use them for pianos

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
vernon

Post by vernon »

THE RECURRENT PROBLEM WITH CHEAPER RISING STOOLS IS THAT THE LEGS BECOME LOOSE AFTER A WHILE. wE SOLVE THIS BY ISSUING CUSTOMERS WITH THE APPROPRITE SPANNER THAT COMES WITH STOOL ANYWAY. oTHERWISE, i FIND THEY ARE QUITE NICELY ENGINEERED, THO' NOT TO BE COMPARED WITH THE POSHER MORE EXPENSIVE MODELS.( sorry pressed the caps lock)
You should get one ok from any dealer for £100-120
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
winkybag99
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by winkybag99 »

Excellent thrifty tip from Barrie, thanks very much!
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Pianomate »

A colleague purchased a padded leather adjustable one from Ebay. I was quite skeptical originally, but on inspection it was surprisingly well made for the price (about £80 I think). Obviously it won't withstand a lot of hammer, but for a private individual was fine.

Mine is a Victorian one I purchased from the local saleroom for £5. Lovely design and absolutely rock solid but needed reupholstering and repolishing - Fine if you have a friend or relative who does such things for a hobby (and owes you a favour), but if you have to take it in somewhere it will cost a lot.
Edward James

Post by Edward James »

Hello, Tozer piano stools are manufactured in Germany by Balz for Fletcher and Newman who own the Tozer brand. Fletcher and Newman also supply Discacciati piano stools which are made in Italy. Fletcher and Newman are trade only.

Regards, Edward.
www.just-piano-stools.co.uk
Woodhouse, Tozer and Discacciati piano stools
longbow
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by longbow »

You could do a lot worse than trying one of the "Hidrau" stools that are distributed in the UK by Heckscher & co. They are a quality stool made in Spain.
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

I sell those for £90 with my pianos but would be happy to sell for £60 if you quote "FORUM" before payment. They aren't real leather but they are sturdy, comfortable and look nice. Might not last as long as a tozer but will be fine if you are just using it to play the piano and not using it as a car jack.

If you never want to have to upgrade then you should definitely buy the highest quality straight away. I recommend that you save up and get a Tozer :)
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
longbow
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by longbow »

You can find the full range of Hidrau stools here (www.heckscherpianostools.co.uk)