heineman upright

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

weegull

heineman upright

Post by weegull »

I'm looking to buy a piano here in rural south of France, and have tried eBay for six months as well as local dealers. My budget is €2,000.

I've been shown a new Heinemann piano, for €1,900 including delivery and tuning, which the dealer told me is made in China, which I gather is not a great thing. And I've been shown a 2nd hand Young Chang for the same price, and a 110cm Hupfeld for €1,400, these last two by a different dealer.

And I've just seen a Pleyel for sale on eBay, n°43F184, with a starting price of €2,000.

Can anyone please give me any advice - general or specific?
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: heineman upright

Post by sussexpianos »

The Hupfield is East German, OK pianos and probably as good as the Young Chang. The Heinemann could be anything. Why don't you get a tuner or music teacher to try them?
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.
weegull

Post by weegull »

The Hupfeld and Young Chang, both 2nd hand, are being sold on by a local music shop, and have been checked over etc by the tuner who works for the shop ... The Hupfeld is 110cm, while the Young Chang is taller (120cm?) - is extra height an over-riding advantage, do you think?
Peter Smith Pianos
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Peter Smith Pianos »

If Young Chang is in mint condition that the value at £1900,watch for tubby strings in the bass register if they are okay seems a fair deal.
Yamaha and Kawai Main Dealers.Nationwide delivery.Contact 0141 887 6160 www.petersmithpianos.co.uk
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

Yes, check the bass strings as cheap pianos tend to save money on quality bass strings which go dull quicker than the norm. I would go for the Young Chang as 121 from 110 is a big differance. Bigger richer sound. This is due to longer strings and larger soundboard area. Good luck
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

weegull wrote:I'm looking to buy a piano here in rural south of France, and have tried eBay for six months as well as local dealers. My budget is €2,000.

I've been shown a new Heinemann piano, for €1,900 including delivery and tuning, which the dealer told me is made in China, which I gather is not a great thing. And I've been shown a 2nd hand Young Chang for the same price, and a 110cm Hupfeld for €1,400, these last two by a different dealer.

And I've just seen a Pleyel for sale on eBay, n°43F184, with a starting price of €2,000.

Can anyone please give me any advice - general or specific?
Weegull,
Afraid I cant tell you much about Heinemann pianos. The other new piano that you may come across at a similar price in your region with dealers is the Keilberg Etude, from China, and at 111cm high rather small with obviously a sound to suit. I've never tried either so nothing more to add there.

Regarding the Pleyel on eBay. Had some trouble in locating this as the number you quote is the piano S/No. However, eventually found the Pleyel you refer to - Ebay No. 320395813035.
With a starting price at 2000 euros this is crazily overpriced. Apparently an 85 note piano, no date indicated, noted to have been renovated in 1972, with some damage to the marquetry on one side - suspect this is sun damage. Piano could be 50's vintage. Not really worth more than 200-400 euros imho.
I really wouldn't advise purchasing on Ebay as generaly they are 'unseen', frequently with bad surprises. Also check out leboncoin.com but do NOT purchase unseen. There are several Yamahas for sale there - probably a safer bet than a Pleyel. I am guessing you're in Haute Garonne - if so, not too far from myself. You can PM if necessary for additional guidance.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
weegull

Post by weegull »

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm in Hautes Pyrenees in fact, but have just come across a seller called Piano Star in the Gers, and am going to go and have a look at what they've got. I'll try out the Young Chang again too, paying attention to the bass notes, and let you know ...