Brodmann BG-150 grand

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Brodmann BG-150 grand

Post by joseph »

Last night I gave a recital for the Torphichen Summer Nights Music Festival in Torphichen, near Edinburgh.

James Cameron supplied the piano, which was meant to be a Bosendorfer 214. However, the promoter didn't mention the amount of space available to turn the piano on the way in to the church. So James phoned me in a flap, disappointed I couldn't get the Bosendorfer. He offered me a Brodmann 150 baby grand, which was all they could fit through the door (seriously, you want to see this place...).

Anyway I was surprised by this little piano. It didn't have the depth of sound of my Brodmann 187, but it was really nice. It was clear, it was powerful and it had a good dynamic range. The action was smooth if a little heavy (I find that on most baby grands) but it was responsive. Bear in mind that this was a solo piano recital in which I played works by Bach, Schubert, Haydn, Schumann, Grieg and Moszkowski. The piano did very well.

I to recommend this piano to anyone who only has the space for a small baby grand. I don't know how much one of these pianos cost but I'm sure it's a good price.
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Brodmann BG-150 grand

Post by NewAge »

Joseph,
Interesting feedback.
Regarding:-
I recommend this piano to anyone who only has the space for a small baby grand. I don't know how much one of these pianos cost but I'm sure it's a good price.
The Piano BlueBook gives the 4' 11" Brodmann a retail price guide of $18000 which going from your recent experience would seem reasonable value.
Is is known how these pianos generally perform 'out of the box'?

Going on price differential alone, do you think your performance would have been 8 times better on a new Bosendorfer 214? :wink:
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
Peter Smith Pianos
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Peter Smith Pianos »

That good info $18,000 which is roughly 11,300 sterling so why it only retailing at 7,900 sterling in U.K.are they having a sale or difficulties selling them,or is the retail price just picked out a hat.Would welcome the dealers or distrubutors of these pianos to inform us of what the proper prices for the full range should be in Scotland ,England and Wales very few are showing prices on their websites which is causing customers anxieties as they pack the high streets to purchase them.
Yamaha and Kawai Main Dealers.Nationwide delivery.Contact 0141 887 6160 www.petersmithpianos.co.uk
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

I think that lots of companies just pull their RRP out of a hat.....
Peter Smith Pianos
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Not the responsible ones,all new pianos no matter the make should have retail price listings,Yamaha,Kawai,Kemble,Steinway & Sons etc have listing,impossible to find prices for the latest batch of chinese tat to hit these shores.
Yamaha and Kawai Main Dealers.Nationwide delivery.Contact 0141 887 6160 www.petersmithpianos.co.uk
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

Perhaps the public should buy a piano on the basis that is it worth the money being charged rather than ooohh its got 40% discount!!!! It would be interesting to see the prices people would pay for pianos if you put a large group of brands in a room with no prices or names on them.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Good point!
Peter Smith Pianos
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

People associate brands with quality,and the piano trade is no exception people aspire to buy Steinways,Yamahas,Kawais,etc because they are proven products of quality and as well as dealers warranties they offer manufacturers warranties and excellent techs who back up what they sell,its not all bad.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

also a good point. there is a reason why people want steinway and yamaha.
Peter Smith Pianos
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

mdw wrote:Perhaps the public should buy a piano on the basis that is it worth the money being charged rather than ooohh its got 40% discount!!!! It would be interesting to see the prices people would pay for pianos if you put a large group of brands in a room with no prices or names on them.
Never heard of 40 % discount been offered on pianos,not the ones we sell,if you select 3 grand pianos at 150cm size Yamaha GB1,Kawai GM10 and the piano hired and take the suggested list prices,what instrument are the public going to purchase we know due to having them and another 24 grand pianos available for the customer to choose from.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Will they in most cases take the Yamaha because that's the one they know? Yamaha aren't the most famous name in the business for no reason, I realise that!
Peter Smith Pianos
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Its not the Yamaha for the players its the Kawai 90% of the time at this level of spend,when you go to Yamaha c-series amd Kawai rx-series very much down to the pianist preference,but at entry level the Kawai is superior in all aspects of tone,playability and tuning stability and action performance.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

I've always had a soft spot for Kawai pianos. I quite fancy an RX-7, but alas, neither the money nor the space a the moment. I find Kawai have a more rounded tone than Yamaha. Just my two pence.
Peter Smith Pianos
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Have a Kawai RX-7 on display more than welcome to come in and play if down this way during summer break.
techiedale

Post by techiedale »

joseph wrote: 06 Jul 2009, 10:39 Last night I gave a recital for the Torphichen Summer Nights Music Festival in Torphichen, near Edinburgh.

James Cameron supplied the piano, which was meant to be a Bosendorfer 214. However, the promoter didn't mention the amount of space available to turn the piano on the way in to the church. So James phoned me in a flap, disappointed I couldn't get the Bosendorfer. He offered me a Brodmann 150 baby grand, which was all they could fit through the door (seriously, you want to see this place...).

Anyway I was surprised by this little piano. It didn't have the depth of sound of my Brodmann 187, but it was really nice. It was clear, it was powerful and it had a good dynamic range. The action was smooth if a little heavy (I find that on most baby grands) but it was responsive. Bear in mind that this was a solo piano recital in which I played works by Bach, Schubert, Haydn, Schumann, Grieg and Moszkowski. The piano did very well.

I to recommend this piano to anyone who only has the space for a small baby grand. I don't know how much one of these pianos cost but I'm sure it's a good price.
I firmly believe I'm the owner of this very Brodmann you played, I bought it from James Cameron well over 10 years ago and still love it, perfect size for my house and still plays brilliantly