new or secondhand gors kallmann and steinmayer V Yamaha

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

moriwakiz1r

new or secondhand gors kallmann and steinmayer V Yamaha

Post by moriwakiz1r »

Hi ,ive been looking at the gors kallmann and steinmayer uprights with a view to buying, would i be better off with one of these or a second hand yamaha u1 for a similar price ?(around the £2000 to £2500 mark)thanks .G
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: new or secondhand

Post by athomik »

I'm obviously a bit biased, but (providing it's not too old and an independent technician approves it's condition) the U1 has a reputation that's hard to beat.
athomik

Adrian Thomas Music Services
http://www.adrianthomas.net
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

athomik wrote:I'm obviously a bit biased, but (providing it's not too old and an independent technician approves it's condition) the U1 has a reputation that's hard to beat.
Second that!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

How old is the G&K? You need to be aware that an old piano will never be like a new one, however much reconditioning it's had, any more than a rebuilt Morris Minor will have ABS braking etc... I speak as the owner of an older piano, so I'm not biased ! The U1 will last for many years of playing, the G&K will need careful management of heating/humidity if it IS an old one, especially if it's going into a new house.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
vernon

Post by vernon »

If they are new I would go for the Steinmayer or Gors and Kallman.If you are getting the latter @2 grand I would jump at it.
We've sold many of both over the years and none has ever given any problem.
But then I am biased
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
moriwakiz1r

Post by moriwakiz1r »

Sorry folks i meant to say the steinmayer and gors kallmans would be new .G
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

moriwakiz1r wrote:Hi ,ive been looking at the gors kallmann and steinmayer uprights with a view to buying, would i be better off with one of these or a second hand yamaha u1 for a similar price ?(around the £2000 to £2500 mark)thanks .G
Can't comment on the new G&K but the Steinmayer quality is not as good as a second-hand 1995+ U1 for me. The U1 would be a better buy, providing it is no older than 1985. You need a tuner to look at any secondhand piano as there are some pups outthere. Also, Steinmayers need a lot of preping to bring them up to speed and they do swing a lot with a humidity change.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
vernon

Re: new or secondhand gors kallmann and steinmayer V Yamaha

Post by vernon »

the G&K and Steinmayers need well tuning and good prep by the retailer and they make fine pianos.
Trouble with old U3 etc is that you don't know where they have been so you need a tech to inspect them.

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Cant speak for Gors&Kallman,but the Steinmayers need more than a good prepp and tune before dispatch,sold a couple, a day and a half to get right.3 tunings,every key required side sanding,rebush chasers periodically,easing of keys,reset front key rail,hammer refacing and full regulation,better with yamaha or kawai its simple they are better manufactured pianos and mostly trouble free.
vernon

Post by vernon »

Never had ANY of the problems experienced by joe. We've got dozens out there over the last ten years.They docertainly need tunings and good prep before delivery to customer . The Kawais and Yamahas come in much better prepared-- but look at the price difference!

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Look at the quality difference?,there are better chinese pianos on the market than steinmayers and for a few pounds more you can get the Samick pianos which are of a better build and tone quality,the Steinmayers in my opinion are the cheapest of the cheap.Get a decent Yamaha U1 preferably UK sold.
Peter Smith Pianos
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Peter Smith Pianos »

Would be careful regards used Yamaha U1 get serial number and find out if "grey import".If buying new Kawai K15,sure they be plenty dealers offering deals and comes with 10 year manufacturers warranty,stick to the trusted brands in piano trade which are proven,never liked the idea that pianos made in China,Poland etc have germanic names if pianos where that good why hide behind alias.
Yamaha and Kawai Main Dealers.Nationwide delivery.Contact 0141 887 6160 www.petersmithpianos.co.uk
moriwakiz1r

Post by moriwakiz1r »

Now i am confused, some say one some the other,i did try a new small case petrof about ten years ago and loved it but after reading various reports am not sure if the second hand ones ive also seen in my price range are worth buying.Any ideas ???G
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

moriwakiz1r wrote:Now i am confused, some say one some the other,i did try a new small case petrof about ten years ago and loved it but after reading various reports am not sure if the second hand ones ive also seen in my price range are worth buying.Any ideas ???G
The rules are
Second-hand
  • Get a tuner to look at it first no matter what the age is and who is selling it
New
  • Some makes take more setting up than others and some retailers don't set them or don't have the staff who can - again if not sure let a tuner go and look at the piano before you part with money

For all pianos
  • Make a note of the serial number of any piano you buy and let the sales man know you have done this
    What is the Guarantee and get it in writing
    if you like the look, the sound and the price is good sod the name on the fall board unless you intend to sell in a few years or ask if they have a buy back when you upgrade
Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Peter Smith Pianos
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

What the point of taking the serial number of piano if there is no reference point for the fallboard name,example lady phoned the other week with obscure name on fallboard wanting value to buy privately,after some research the name meant nothing but was Chinese built,and unable to date,so my question is "sod the name"hardly seems good advice?.The trade may not be as buoyant as in previous years,but "badge engineering"seem to be on the increase from persons previously opposed to this practise.
Yamaha and Kawai Main Dealers.Nationwide delivery.Contact 0141 887 6160 www.petersmithpianos.co.uk
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

if you have a shop that has lots of secondhand U1 and U3 taking the S/N is just as relevant as on a new one

As to "sod the name" if you intend to keep the piano for life which quite a lot do, if the piano is what you like, and its of reasonable quality passed by the tuner who looked at it for you then name is of no importance unless you intend to sell it back to the trade in a few years.

Look at obscure named pianos that are in homes and the owners have been very happy with their piano over the years and some are very well made, quite a lot are not but they are happy.

As to "badge engineering" or stencilling that is not new look at the pianos the Co-op made for shops with German sounding names and most Uk makers had many names on the same back

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
vernon

Post by vernon »

as usual Barrie Heaton talks commonsense.
It is a shame that the initiator of this thread is now confused as ,surely,prospective buyers should be able to get some intelligent,experienced,disinterested , professional help here.
It is daft comparing Kawais et al with entry pianos as not every customer has a budget of 3 or 4kl upwards.
I notice joe has had a "couple" of the pianos mentioned and enumerates the problems he had. I have had DOZENS with not a whisper of ANY problem which must sy something for their relative quality and value.
As Barrie says, find a piano you like at your price, ignore the name on the fall, get a tech to approve it and Bob's your uncle.
Any good dealer only stocks reliable,sound trouble-free, tested and tried pianos unless he is barmy.

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Peter Smith Pianos
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Dont agree with the last 2 posting,its important to find out age of the piano especially used Yamahas as most are "grey imports" and there are huge vatiations on price and quality.The name on the fallboard and with any luck on the frame is a point of reference for the customer and well aware of the co-op built pianos and "stenciling"but the op has asked the question chinese piano for £2-£2.5k or used Yamaha U1 and if the Yamaha is UK sold and in decent condition its by far the better option.In my opinion there are better indonesian and chinese instruments on the market than those mentioned and for a little more and 10 manafacturers warranty there is Kawai.Its simple and good advice if buying new between £3k and £7k the Kawais and Yamaha are still the best quality on offer today any dealer telling customer different is doing the general public a diservice!!!.
vernon

Post by vernon »

Although Peter Smith Pianos seems to both agree and disagree with me, I am with him that our enquirer would would be be best advised, if he he has 2- 3 kl to look at the new Gors and Kallmann or certainly the new Kawai K15
I am sure this forum will direct him to his nearest good dealer.
If he indicates his area I am confident he will be deluged with deals! -- delivery, after sales service etc included.(ask for a stool too!)

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk