Having My Own Yamaha U3

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

tryer
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Having My Own Yamaha U3

Post by tryer »

Edited:

First of all, I thank all the Commentors and Advices comes here in the Forum,

I also thanks the dealer with My U3.

I am totally very Satisfied with this Unit when it was delivered into our Home.
Don't Judge the book according to its cover,
but anyway, please forget those comments comes from Opinion from the Picture,
The thing is, Im very satisfied with the U3 I owned today.

Dealer even offered a 30-day money satisfaction guarantee but definitely I got the best deal in town in terms of satisfaction quality, 5-years warranty and best price.

I love the U3 very much,
Whenever I play it, my lips touch my ears because of big smile!
I granted my Dream, my Family's dream to have a Best Quality U3.

Thank You very much for the Comments here in the Forum,
Thank You very much for the dealer.
Last edited by tryer on 03 Jul 2009, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Having My Own Yamaha U3

Post by markymark »

The taller the piano, the longer the string and usually, the better the tone, specifically in the bass but across the pitches. The other thing to consider is the increase in the volume of the instrument.

Do you have a large enough room to contain the sound. I have come across people with pianos that are too impressive and powerful for the size of their lounge, den, sitting room... wherever which actually hinders the overall sound quality.

Will this be an issue for you? My U1 equivalent (P121) is enough for my rather large sitting room and sometimes think it's too powerful at times!
tryer
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by tryer »

My Room is 75x103"

Is that very small for U3? Give me a recommended space for it please. . .

And btw, thank you very much for reply and info
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

Tryer,
In a previous post in March someone gave you a little excellent advise which you should still bear in mind, “buy the piano you like the best”.

I have in the past read, “There's no such thing as a room that's too small for a piano”. Personally I do not hold the same opinion.
I agree with Markymark, some people do have pianos that are too powerful for their particular location, and subjectively I get the impression that a smallish room of 75"x103" will not do full justice to the volume and nuances of sound from a 131cm U3. (I appreciate that some will disagree with this statement).
To put my comment into perspective, our lounge is pretty large at 26.5ft x 18ft with an 8ft ceiling. I find the look of a large (131cm) upright somewhat ungainly - was it not PianoMan who used the description "bulk and monolithic appearance", so I was particularly attracted to and purchased a slightly smaller 122cm upright. And certainly glad I did! Ok, it's not a Yamaha, but it sings it's heart out in our lounge, so much so that I think it's too powerful at times and often keep the top closed to restrain the decibels.
Having said that, if you have really tried many pianos, and prefer Yamahas, and you are left with a particular U1 and U3, with both having passed your personal tests of Touch/Sound/Appearance, buy whichever you feel the happiest with. Simple!
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

tryer wrote:My Room is 75x103"

What is that?

19 x 26 ft approximately? You're talking to a kid brought up in the metric system! :wink:

My living room is 16 X 11ft roughly and my piano sounds okay in it. The mid-range and bass, as I said, are tad powerful and I am seriously thinking of getting the tuner to adjust the action so that I can play uninhibited without feeling that I am going to bring the roof down! It's not quite that bad but I still feel it's too loud or poweful for the room.

You hit other factors too such as they decor of the room, sofas, furniture, curtains, wooden floors, carpets.... which all combine to slightly affect the acoustics of the room. Still, from my point of view, the basic effect will be very similar to greater or lesser extents.

Still... NewAge is right in the sense that if you have found a piano you really like and the price is right, there is a good case for going for it - provided that you have tried it out and compare it with lots of other models. There may be ways of controlling the volume if that was a concern - equally, there may not be so hopefully one of the tuners will be able to clarify this for you.
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

markymark wrote:
tryer wrote:My Room is 75x103"

What is that?

19 x 26 ft approximately? You're talking to a kid brought up in the metric system! :wink:

My living room is 16 X 11ft roughly and my piano sounds okay in it. The mid-range and bass, as I said, are tad powerful and I am seriously thinking of getting the tuner to adjust the action so that I can play uninhibited without feeling that I am going to bring the roof down! It's not quite that bad but I still feel it's too loud or poweful for the room.

You hit other factors too such as they decor of the room, sofas, furniture, curtains, wooden floors, carpets.... which all combine to slightly affect the acoustics of the room. Still, from my point of view, the basic effect will be very similar to greater or lesser extents.

Still... NewAge is right in the sense that if you have found a piano you really like and the price is right, there is a good case for going for it - provided that you have tried it out and compare it with lots of other models. There may be ways of controlling the volume if that was a concern - equally, there may not be so hopefully one of the tuners will be able to clarify this for you.
Surely he was quoting in inches (").
In which case 75x103" equates to 6.25ft x 8.6ft. Or am I missing something?

Agree that room furnishing can certainly affect the acoustics.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Oh! I've misread them. In that case it is a titchy room and probably too small, isn't it?

Or am I too cynical? :|
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

markymark wrote:Oh! I've misread them. In that case it is a titchy room and probably too small, isn't it?
Yep, definitely smallish, although I know that wouldn't stop many (especially across the pond) from putting a 6ft + grand in there. To which I'd say, "Bonjour tinnitus".
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Seems a very good price for whats on offer.In my own experience small pianos dont sell in Asia they always want the largest piano no matter what space is available,we have many Asians customers who want the same no mattered what room dimensions,flights of stairs,access etc.The piano you buy is the piano you like as long as its a Kawai or Yamaha in that price range.
tryer
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by tryer »

Ok,

All were really a big appreciated,

This is a reply for all,

Yes, this is very small room, which i think 2x3 meters, and 3 meters to the ceiling, but this room is not sound proof which means the room is not concrete (you know, Philippines), since this is a small house, but we are now planning to go in Province for a Big House that we owned there, (But this would not be the case that I am surely bringing it in there),

But I saw training room (piano lesson room), which is smallest than my room which it has a Piano 49", which in this case, the piano is too loud? Am I right?
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

If it is a professional training room, the room may well be designed with acoustics in mind. The average house isn't.
tryer
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by tryer »

OK,

I got already the exact serial number
and we will talk about it tomorrow in the showroom

#6088327 (no other letters cause its direct from Japan)

I heard

Something there is an irregular U3s, U1s thats why they are cheap, is it true?
tryer
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by tryer »

AWWWWWWWWWw, moderator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do not know how to reduce the size!!!!!!!!! I have slow connection, X(X(X(X(
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Did you take them with a digital camera or are these scans?

If taken with a digital camera, you can resize them using Adobe Photoshop or if you are stuck, paste the pictures of Microsoft Publisher.

Resize them and right click to <save as picture>.

You will be able to give the pictures a name. I'll delete this post and let you resubmit your post, okay?
tryer
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by tryer »

Don't Judge the Book According to its Image
Last edited by tryer on 03 Jul 2009, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

tryer wrote:OK,

I heard

Have you tried forwarding this information to Bill on the Piano HIstory forum?
He doesn't moderate on this forum any longer and very rarely reads anything outside the Piano History forum. Make a post there and see what he says about the serial number.

In fact, I'll copy and move the post to Piano History. Keep an eye out there for more information.
vernon

Post by vernon »

you are a very nice helpful man a 'bhalich
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
tryer
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by tryer »

thx marky and venron
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

markymark wrote:

I heard

He doesn't moderate on this forum any longer and very rarely reads anything outside the Piano History forum. Make a post there and see what he says about the serial number.

In fact, I'll copy and move the post to Piano History. Keep an eye out there for more information.
To modern for Bill. its c2003 some U3 in early 2004 were come in into the UK with 608xxx but by the end of 2004 they had gone over to 607xxx

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
tryer
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by tryer »

Barrie Heaton wrote:
markymark wrote:

I heard

To modern for Bill. its c2003 some U3 in early 2004 were come in into the UK with 608xxx but by the end of 2004 they had gone over to 607xxx

Barrie,
What do you mean?

Do you mean this U3 is fine although it has no Soft Close fallboard?
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I could be wrong about the precise timing, but the anti-slam fallboard feature is relatively new in U1 and U3 models - say the last couple of years or thereabouts.
chrisvenables
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisvenables »

Introduced in 1999 to 2000 for the U1 and U3.
Yamaha Piano Main Dealer since 1981. www.chrisvenables.co.uk
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

If Barrie's estimate is correct, and probably is, then why is the soft close fallboard not included on this model? I remember my local dealer going on about this brand new feature on the fallboard when I was buying two years ago which is why I was led to believe it was very recent.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

C V is correct U1 and U3 10 years ago,other model a little later,if you have a P121 4 to 5 years ago.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

joe wrote:C V is correct U1 and U3 10 years ago,other model a little later,if you have a P121 4 to 5 years ago.
Okay... not good news for me then!

I bought a "brand new" P121 from a music store last year and it didn't have this slow close fallboard?

Are you saying that my "brand new piano" is actually at least four or five years old? :x

If this info is anywhere near accurate, I'm seriously not liking where this conversation is going!!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

markymark wrote:
joe wrote:C V is correct U1 and U3 10 years ago,other model a little later,if you have a P121 4 to 5 years ago.

I bought a "brand new" P121 from a music store last year and it didn't have this slow close fallboard?

Are you saying that my "brand new piano" is actually at least four or five years old? :x

If this info is anywhere near accurate, I'm seriously not liking where this conversation is going!!
New pianos can sit on a shop floor for 5 years its not uncommon with small retailers, the exception is the big discounters but even they can be stuck with some unpopular model colours

In 1999 Yamaha and all the other UK makes that were on the UK Piano Page which was all of them ask me to remove upto date serial numbers of the site and leave a 5 to 10 year gap for the above reason.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
chrisvenables
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisvenables »

markymark wrote:

Calm down Markymarkmark!

Yamaha P121 have NEVER had a soft close fallboard - not even now.

Tell me your serial number and I'll tell you when it was made.

With regard to Barrie's comment that manufacturers asked him not to disclose serial numbers to ages is a sad reflection on the state of the industry. I hope Barrie does not give in to manufacturers' demands - I believe in transparency - dare I say it, hence why I don't use an alias!
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

The serial number is E330013
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

chrisvenables wrote: With regard to Barrie's comment that manufacturers asked him not to disclose serial numbers to ages is a sad reflection on the state of the industry. I hope Barrie does not give in to manufacturers' demands - I believe in transparency - dare I say it, hence why I don't use an alias!
it was the retailers bitching to the manufactures and yes they were removed back in 1999 later that year Yamaha UK got their own corporate website and moved off the UK Piano Page. Only Woodchester let me put up current numbers after that, but they did not last 10 years anyway. All the others till they finshed or moved off the site asked for a 5 year gap

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
chrisvenables
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisvenables »

Markymark - yours was made approx first half of 2007. Sometimes we receive pianos with serial numbers which, going purely by the number, are 6 months older than other models delivered in the same month. A factory may produce a batch of slow selling finishes and they can be sat in their warehouse until ordered from the dealer. Equally, an 'earlier' number may indicate that the piano has been sat on the dealer's floor for a while, or with some larger dealers, in their warehouse.

6 months sat in a dealer's showroom isn't always a bad thing unless it's the sort of general music shop that has heavy traffic and lots of sticky-fingered kids playing it every day. I think most 'piano-exclusive' shops are pretty protective about their stock and in a way a piano that's been tuned a couple of times on the showroom floor and settled down should be more stable than one straight from the factory.
Peter Smith Pianos
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Peter Smith Pianos »

Having piano on "shop floor" for a while is no bad thing,but quite often customer prefers to order same piano believing the one they are getting was built last week!!! always better to buy the piano you have played.There are variates of U1 and U3 sold in the far-east and Australia and the US you are safer to get pre-owned piano orginally sold in country you live-in and if possible find out its history.Piano should never be judged by age,its the condition which is the determining factor.
Yamaha and Kawai Main Dealers.Nationwide delivery.Contact 0141 887 6160 www.petersmithpianos.co.uk
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

Barrie Heaton wrote:In 1999 Yamaha and all the other UK makes that were on the UK Piano Page which was all of them ask me to remove upto date serial numbers of the site and leave a 5 to 10 year gap for the above reason.
Barrie,
I'v never been told not to reveal recent serial numbers, but even I can't get anything more current than 2006 at the moment. (unless I pop down to the warehouse and check the numbers on our most recent arrivals :wink: )
athomik

Adrian Thomas Music Services
http://www.adrianthomas.net
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

There is a difference in giving the odd number out and having the full set published on the official company site.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page