Who are the Piano Advisory Service ?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

gremalkin

Who are the Piano Advisory Service ?

Post by gremalkin »

hi all - saw an advert for a piano where the vendor has a glowing report of the instrument's condition - the report was prepared by the Piano Advisory Service. can't find anything on a UK based org. with this name. so, who are they and does this report carry any weight? instrument in question is a 1984 Ibach F11 183 (6') grand - with an alleged valuation of 15,000 pounds (which seems like 10K too much to me...) Any ideas what this piano may be worth if indeed it is in excellent order throughout?
pete
Steve071261
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

piano advisory service

Post by Steve071261 »

I don't know either, but I've also seen this piano on eBay, too.

Somehow doubt it'll sell. As you say, the price is a tad unrealistic, from what I can see.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

If I remember right the Piano Advisory Service was set up in the 60’s and then became the Real Piano Association this was set up to promote real pianos apposed to keyboards and was funded by the Music Industries Association (me thinks) it was disbanded in the late 80s….. http://www.mia.org.uk

Now Julian Markson Of Markson pianos in London, retired so with time on his hands he set up the new Piano Advisory Service the idea was to independently value pianos for sale by the great unwashed for a mug shot of Julian see http://www.mia.org.uk/whois/
He is a nice guy and is not doing it to riip folk off

Hope that helps

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Steve071261
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Steve071261 »

Hi,

nice to know more about this service, thanks. I don't think either of us were suggesting the PAS was ripping anybody off, just that the seller of this particular piano seemed to be using their report to justify what looks like a bit of a high asking price. I'm sure the piano in question is probably immaculate, and worth at the top end of the market value for its type, but stll a bit steep, nonetheless.

Steve
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I believe PAS do give a recommend-selling price however, the seller may not have used that price just the bit from the report they like, have you seen the report

I am not up on current Ibach prices but I would say the price you quoted is not far from the RRP of a new one

BTW PAS do charge a fee

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page