Problems with tuning

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

crispin
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Problems with tuning

Post by crispin »

PianoGuy wrote:Its purpose is to stop those sections (dead lengths) of the strings resonating and interfering with the sound since they will resonate at the wrong pitches!
Yes I realise why the felt is there - it is just that in this case it seems unnecessarily hard and unnecessarily compressed - certainly the wires are displaced as they go over and compress this felt ... so it would not surprize me if the string tension changed as it sinks down into this felt. Why not use a softer felt? Anyway - if you haven't had a case where this felt strip caused a problem .. I will cross it off the list..
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

It's feasible that it's causing a bit of extra friction along the dead-length of the string and adding to the settling-in period, but if you examine many grands, the strings run through the agraffes and up to the wrestpins across strips of bearing cloth for far greater distances and with greater pressure. I'd certainly not bother about it.
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
chrisvenables
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisvenables »

Vernon - Sorry? Who's side are you on? 1.Why do you want me to keep out of this? 2. What makes you think this is a dealer of repute? 3. I don't care if you are 'less than chuffed if I phoned up to keep you right' whatever that means. 4. Crispin has a right to a professional reply. 5. Crispin has a right to a piano that stays in tune.

I don't care if you, as a dealer are chuffed or otherwise if someone else 'keeps you right' - I care for the customer who has paid a fortune for a piano that they expect to be of 'merchantable quality' so don't tell me to keep out of this.

I suggested the dealer should be given the benefit of the doubt - let's see what he does. What's the problem with that?
Yamaha Piano Main Dealer since 1981. www.chrisvenables.co.uk
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Its generous of cv to offer the OP free advice never know may px for a SU7 or B________N 125,for many yeasrs we have been called to peoples homes for a fee of course who did not buy pianos from our firm , to prepp and tune new pianos, we never felt we where treading on other dealers toes,as there are many sellers who sell them but cant fix them,no complaints with the ones cv sold north of the border.Can you define what makes a dealer reputable?,surely it the quality of piano they sell new or used and the brands they promote,the premises,the choice of stock and the longevity of the firm and competitiveness.The OP has paid alot a cash for a piano and is entitled to advice from whoever it maybe.
crispin
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by crispin »

This thread seems to be taking a diversion - which is fine but:
joe wrote:.The OP has paid alot a cash for a piano and is entitled to advice from whoever it maybe.
Actually I do not feel entitled to advice - however I have found this forum to be full of experts who are happy to give out advice .... and this is just fine for me...
joe wrote:Can you define what makes a dealer reputable?
I believe that this is mostly word of mouth ... and nowadays word of web. Of course if they sell fancy pianos and have a fancy show room in the centre of town this helps give the impression of being reputable. And there is such a place in the centre of Geneva not so far from where I live but I would not ever buy a piano from them... (a) because when I and my son went there to look at their pianos and asked to play some - they looked down their noses at us (Ok - we are a bit scruffy - but were in the market for a piano) (b) maybe I save reason (b) for another day..
In my book - a reputable dealer wants happy customers - and should be able to deal with all.
chrisvenables wrote:Crispin, make an appointment to telephone the dealer whilst the tech is with you, to go through the investigative process in real time. If that's not possible, then I would be happy for you to ring me 01425 476644 whilst the tech is there to make sure he addresses all potential problems.
This is a kind offer by Chris Venables - I am getting the tech/tuner from the dealer to come by on June 3. I have sent by registered mail a report discussing this tuning instability ... so they can not say that they are unprepared. Personally I suspect that a phone call to Chris Venables half way through their visit would antagonize them - let alone the problems of translation of all these technical terms into french. As Chris says:
chrisvenables wrote:The photos are great! But maybe we're over-reacting to the problem and hypothesising about something which, as many of us have stated earlier,is common, in that most new pianos have tuning instability. So let's give the dealer and the tech another chance.
Clear words of good advice imo.
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

crispin wrote: ....currently the interaction between this pressure bar and this hard felt layer makes me suspicious... (Follow up question to NewAge - how deep do the strings dig into your red felt strip....
Crispin, for info from what I can see, strings are impacted into the red felt by approx 0.5mm to max of 2.0mm
As indicated by PianoGuy I wouldn't expect this to be a significant issue.
Good luck for your next tuning - may it be long-lasting (or at least within reason). :piano;
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Spammer alert!
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

PianoGuy wrote:Spammer alert!
Just click on the upside down triangle and that will flag it to all the mods as they come onto the forum

Thanks anyway post removed

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

chrisvenables wrote: Other factors to consider:
2. Ask your tuner to 'hard' tune it. If he doesn't know what that means - try another tuner!
I've just been re-reading a few older posts on tuning.
What is meant exactly by 'hard' tuning it?
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
chrisvenables
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisvenables »

'Hard' tuning is hitting the key hard when tuning the string so that the non speaking lengths of the string are settled as well as the speaking length. So if you hear your tuner hitting each key only softly, the chances are that the piano will slip out of tune as soon as someone plays the keys hard.
Yamaha Piano Main Dealer since 1981. www.chrisvenables.co.uk