New piano purchase

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Fixer11

New piano purchase

Post by Fixer11 »

Guy's,
I want to buy an upright piano and have a budget of around £1900.
Not sure what to be looking at or avoiding.

One local dealer suggests Halle and Voight HV118 and another suggests Reid-Sohn RS118, but this is outside of budget.

Personally I cannot find any real sonic difference between them - but they are both in different showrooms so difficult to realy compare.

Have thought about E-Bay but don't want to risk getting stuck with a usless bit of wood and steel.

Any advice appreciated.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: New piano purchase

Post by joseph »

you have 1900 just now, but if you save a bit longer, you will have more. 1900 isn't going to get you a great piano, and since this is going to be a purchase that I presume has to last for a while, why not save another 1100 quid and go to 3000. Then, you will have the choice of Brodmanns, Perzinas, Wendl und Lungs, along with a whole host of rebuilt and reconditioned uprights.

If you are determined that 1900 is your max budget, you should look for something like a 1970s Chappell. They are usually pretty good pianos. Reid Sohn is Samick, and I think that they are pretty solid too, although I don't have much experience of them, I played a six foot Samick grand, re-badged as something else (which someone can PM me if they want to know what) and it was a beautiful piano.
vernon

Post by vernon »

try a Steinmayer 108 @ £1995.00
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

The Halle & Voight is just about the lowest quality piano to acieve an "acceptable" status in my book, that is they are OK for the money, but you're buying at the cheapest level. The Reid Sohn is better, but the H&V and the cheap Reid Sohns are not the easiest things to tune because the wrestpins are too tight to achieve accurate adjustment by all but the most experienced tuners. Once they're in tune they're not bad at all though.

Why not spend just a few hundred more and you can afford one of Perzina's sub-brands which offer far better quality. Marketed as Sangler, Eavestaff, and Gehr.Steinberg amongst others, they are largely identical. They have the Gebruder Perzina company credited on a tiny graphic on the key-slip. (The thin strip under the keyboard!) These should be priced between £2,000 and just under £2,500.
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
Fixer11

Post by Fixer11 »

Thanks for the advice.

The Steinmayer 108 is out (not because of sound but this piano must look traditional so would have to look at the S110 at the very least).

The idea of saving another £1000 is good in principle - but I drive a 15 year old car and it took me long enough to get £1900.

Will have another look around.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

The traditional cased version of the small Perzina is around £2,500. Polyester finishes only though I think.
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Fixer11 wrote:Thanks for the advice.

The Steinmayer 108 is out (not because of sound but this piano must look traditional so would have to look at the S110 at the very least).
There are a few retailers who have Yamaha B1 at last years prices Chris Venables Pianos is one but there again are not traditional box shape you have given yourself a tall order entry level pianos don't tend to be box shape

A second hand piano is your best option Yamaha M rage from the 70 was well made and boxier than most of the time get a tuner to look at any piano you buy

Take a look at the Pianos for Sale by Shops there are 400 + second-hand pianos on there and a few box shape ones Handel Pianos has a box looking Yamaha in your price range

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Halle & Voight and Reid-Sohn would agree with "piano guy" comments i know a dealer whose has a Gbhr Steinberg 123 model in black new at £2,199 inc vat,could be a delivery charge dependant on location and ease of access,also a new Reid-Sohn 112RI for no far of your budget of £1900 and a used Samick 121/Reid-sohn for £1500 in excellent condition do you have any colour preference,they also have competitive prices on all other brands of new pianos.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

joe wrote:i know a dealer whose has a Gbhr Steinberg 123 model in black new at £2,199 inc vat,
Then give us the name and if pos a link

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Model V »

MV.
Last edited by Model V on 05 May 2009, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

joe wrote:Halle & Voight and Reid-Sohn would agree with "piano guy" comments i know a dealer whose has a Gbhr Steinberg 123 model in black new at £2,199 inc vat,
That's cheap!!
PG

vernon

Post by vernon »

The Steinmayer 110 is in the traditional style @ £2130 ( at the moment here!)
Whereabouts are you?
Piano Warehouse (tel 02072679229) will give you your nearest Steinmayer dealer
bw
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

New Gbr Steinberg model 123 black £2,199 decent value at the price,not cheap but i think they buy direct.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

joe wrote:New Gbr Steinberg model 123 black £2,199 decent value at the price,not cheap but i think they buy direct.
That'll be "Gehr. Steinberg"? Gebr. Steinberg was a brand name once owned by the defunct Bentley company I think. Not to be confused by Wilh.Steinberg, the makers of the "IQ" range of pianos once imported alongside Brodmann, but by whom now is anybody's guess!

Gehr.Steinberg are all, without exception imported by Music Brokers Intl.
PG

sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

The Gerh.Steinbergs are very good pianos for the money.I cannot believe they are that price as thats very cheap! Just make sure its prep. They cannot buy direct, just through Music Brokers, they are just selling it cheap for some reason. The Steinmayer 110 would be my choice on a budget. Traditional styling and just a little over budget but if there's a dealer offfering 0%apr, then it will give you some time to save.
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Can supply the serial number and is a very reputable dealer known for straight forward honest advice and has a huge stock of 150 new and used upright and grand pianos,for beginners,amateurs and pro-players.
Bob Pierce
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Bob Pierce »

I would look at the instruments from Music Brokers, find a local dealer and try them all. They provide the best value for money in my book.