Yamaha YUA

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The U3X Yamaha tend to have variations on a theme the X could stand for hand finished

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Broadly speaking:

The U30Bl is a U3 with a full depth top and a practice pedal instead of a sostenuto.

The U3X is a U3 sized piano with a different bracing structure to the back; ie an X-shaped bracing rather than simple posts. The UX is similar, but features uglier angled casework.

The U10Bl is a U1 with a full depth top, rather than the half-top fitted to contemporary U1s.

The YUS and U1X are U1s with the X-braced back and a panelled top door, vented to allow better sound output through the front of the cabinet (a bit like the U5, but not moveable like in that model)

All the above tend to be found as Japanese parallel-imports. None were marketed in the UK. Interestingly, there are a few grey imports of nearly-new U1s floating about some of which are newer than the output from Yamaha-Kemble at the moment! They are recognisable by the U1 badge being stuck on to the frame as individual gold painted numerals. (The official Y-K models for Europe have the U1 tampo-printed in black onto the frame) They also have no lock and a different grade of hammer. None of this is suggesting that they are poor pianos, but make sure they're well discounted (Under 4K is about right) if you're offered one.

Wotcher!

PG
Antz
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

YU & UX models from Yamaha

Post by Antz »

So does the extra cross bracing on the YU and UX series Yamaha's indeed give greater tuning stability? Or is that mostly marketing?

Are the YU and UX models a cut above the U5, U3 and U1? I mean musically (not furniture wise).

And for someone who lives in an older house where there is considerable temperature fluctuation over the course of a year, would it be worth considering the YU and/or UX series ahead of most other options?

I've recently played a YUA, which I presume is from 1979, and it felt and sounded wonderful - as good as, or better than, a number of new Yamahas I've also recently played - T121, U3, U5 (though not as good as a new Bechstein :lol:)
Anthony Cooke
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Never noticed much of a difference with any of them tbh!
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: YU & UX models from Yamaha

Post by athomik »

Antz wrote:So does the extra cross bracing on the YU and UX series Yamaha's indeed give greater tuning stability? Or is that mostly marketing?

Are the YU and UX models a cut above the U5, U3 and U1? I mean musically (not furniture wise).

And for someone who lives in an older house where there is considerable temperature fluctuation over the course of a year, would it be worth considering the YU and/or UX series ahead of most other options?

I've recently played a YUA, which I presume is from 1979, and it felt and sounded wonderful - as good as, or better than, a number of new Yamahas I've also recently played - T121, U3, U5 (though not as good as a new Bechstein :lol:)
"X" series pianos seem to be 'hand finished' versions of the standard model, with some cosmetic differences and the 'X' braced back. I suspect 'hand finished' means that the piano was built in the same way as the standard model, but that final finishing received more attention.

"Y" series pianos are based on the standard model, but the action, materials and finishing are superior. (Compare the current models on http://www.yamaha-europe.com/yamaha_eur ... index.html.

On older pianos, you can't go just by the model number. A 20 year old "YU" series piano may have been of better quality than a plain "U" series model of the same age, when they were new. But looking at them now, it's all down to past history, so each piano should be assessed individually, irrespective of the model.

Depending on where you live, the current upright range includes 'U', 'YU', 'YF', 'SU', 'P', 'PX', 'b', 'M' and 'Radius', as well as some US-only models, made in the USA.
Antz
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Antz »

Thanks athomix

So all other things being equal, given the "action, materials and finishing are superior" on the "Y" series, it should have its nose in front, compared to the "X" series, or the ordinary U1, U3, U5. And "all other things being equal" is where all the vagaries of the individual piano's history & treatment comes in, as you rightly remind me.

Am hoping to play a 1994 UX5 tomorrow - one family owner, and purchased new by that owner in this country. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the YUA from 1979 I played and liked.

Regards,
Anthony Cooke
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Antz wrote:Thanks athomix

So all other things being equal, given the "action, materials and finishing are superior" on the "Y" series, it should have its nose in front, compared to the "X" series, or the ordinary U1, U3, U5.
Theoretically, the "X" series is nose ahead of the "YU" series, owing to the special X-braced back, but in practice there's very little in it, condition and regulation/voicing being far more influential on sound and playability. Both are theoretically ahead of the standard "U" series.

I have tuned many grey-market standard U1s that are more pleasing than some UX1s (all of which are grey market in the UK) but also many standard U1s that are poorer.

I wouldn't know about your country, but the UX1s that we tend to get here in the UK are mostly in the 4-million plus serial number range. It's the best rule of thumb not to be blinded by specifications on paper and go for the one you like the best when the pianos in question are all so similar. The fact that you've found a one owner home market and traceable instrument counts for much in my opinion.
Antz
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Antz »

Played the UX5 today. It's actually a WX5, which I've never heard of, but appears to be a genuine Made in Japan, sold new in NZ, Yamaha. Serial no. 531 3167, which dates manufacture to 1994, by my calculation. Sold new here in NZ by a reputable mainstreet piano dealer, which is still in business. One family owner, who purchased new in 1995.

The piano sounded great, once I'd eliminated a vibration due to a slightly loose fastening on the front top panel. (By that time, I'd already removed several items of furniture from the seller's lounge room, before I disovered the vibration was in the piano itself!)

Went immediately to play the 1979 YUA I'd tried before and liked. The 1995 WX5 (still feels strange to write that !?) was the better instrument, even though in need of a tune, compared to the older instrument.

Now, how do I convince the family to spend $7k NZD on this ... ?
Anthony Cooke