Wendl und Lung 218

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Wendl und Lung 218

Post by joseph »

Has anyone tried a Wendl 218? I am very interested to try one of these machines, so if there are any in Scotland I'm curious to try one!

I can't afford a new piano, and don't have the space for one unfortunately, but I'm guessing they'll be pretty good. :D
chrisvenables
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Wendl und Lung 218

Post by chrisvenables »

Machines? We've got a 218, but we're not quite in Scotland.

Rather a light action, not as powerful as I was expecting, but a good, true bass. Different character to the 162 and 178. It could almost be another brand rather than another model. More 'recital' than 'concert' more Boso than Steinway. The trouble is I don't like Bosos much. Cousin Gordon of Gordon Bell may have one - he's a top man.
Yamaha Piano Main Dealer since 1981. www.chrisvenables.co.uk
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Are W&L still imported by the eccentric Skeaping brothers?
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
chrisvenables
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisvenables »

Dr Sebastian?

I import mine direct thanks, I think our well respected cousins in Scotland do too.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

From your description that does sound a bit Bosendorfer. You know, from the pics on the web, the frame looks slightly Bosendorfer too.

What about the larger Brodmann pianos? How do they sound? I love my 187, are the larger grands as good at their price? (subjective question I know... I'm about to duck before my ears are bashed again :wink: )
Psycho Pianoman
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Psycho Pianoman »

I agree with what chris has said. Gordon and I have both seen and played the 218 on a W&L visit last year. W&L are great company. Also the 218 is a great price. Keep saving for the model 'B'.
"Scream if you wanna go faster!"

Brodmann and Wendl & Lung agents.

http://www.piano40shop.com
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

. . . . Actually. . . . (takes cover). . .

I'm. . . er .. . . not a fan of the model B. I find it is a bit of a red herring. I have always found them to have a kind of metallic tubby quality in the bass, and rather uneven throughout. Quite a few other pianists agree with me, although it seems to be something that you're not allowed to say.

A model D on the other hand :D I'll save me some pennies for one of them. Or I'll settle for an A or a C, but not a B.
chrisvenables
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisvenables »

joseph wrote:From your description that does sound a bit Bosendorfer. You know, from the pics on the web, the frame looks slightly Bosendorfer too.

What about the larger Brodmann pianos? How do they sound? I love my 187, are the larger grands as good at their price? (subjective question I know... I'm about to duck before my ears are bashed again :wink: )
Wendls do seem to like the Bosendorfer colour scheme, but I think that's about all. We had a brilliant young pianist trying out the 218 yesterday - she loved it. We'd toned the piano down a little as it's going in a living room rather than on a stage. She made Chopin's nocturnes sound even more mysteriously haunting than ever, - they were a perfect match for each other. When she played no. 20 in C sharp min. we were stunned!

Re Brodmanns, yes great value. Re: the longer Brodmanns, they're quite new on the streets in the UK. We need a few months before giving, hopefully, a glowing appraisal.