Upright Silent | Non-Silent

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

tryer
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Upright Silent | Non-Silent

Post by tryer »

Just want to ask if what is the difference between Silent Pianos to Non-Silent Pianos

(Referring to YAMAHA Uprights)

Your Prompt Reply is Highly Appreciated.

Thank You

Kindly Specify the

ADVANTAGE AND DISADVANTAGE?
Last edited by tryer on 01 Apr 2009, 08:37, edited 1 time in total.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Upright Silent | Non-Silent

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The touch is different on the uprights as to the rest read the specks on Yamahas site to what they can do

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

Barrie Heaton wrote:The touch is different on the uprights as to the rest read the specks on Yamahas site to what they can do

Barrie,
Apart from a slight difference in regulation (which is what affects the touch - although many people don't even notice it), and the fact that you have a hammer shank stopper and tone generator, the actual pianos are identical
athomik

Adrian Thomas Music Services
http://www.adrianthomas.net
tryer
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by tryer »

ADVANTAGE AND DISADVANTAGE between These?
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Tryer,

Please be patient; this is a forum, not a shop. Some members check the posts several times each day whilst others are too busy to check more than once or twice a week. You may have to wait a while for a response, or members may feel that they have nothing more to add; that's the nature of any forum.

I have already pointed you in the direction of the U Series and I suggest your next step should be to try them out.
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

tryer wrote:ADVANTAGE AND DISADVANTAGE between These?
Image No need to shout :)
Disadvantage with non-silent piano: you can't play silently
Disadvantage with silent piano: the touch is slightly different, but unless you are a very good or experienced pianist, chances are that you won't really notice.
athomik

tryer
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by tryer »

To Openwood:

Thank You for your correction, this forum just make me corrected in correct way (Not like other forums that your correction is in the way of BANNING very LOL). . .
THank You. .

athomik:

:D I laugh with your comment, obviously ;)

Thanks for the effort in replying. . .:D
Grenache
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Grenache »

Openwood wrote:Tryer,

Please be patient; this is a forum, not a shop. Some members check the posts several times each day whilst others are too busy to check more than once or twice a week.
Just checking in after being away for a few weeks :D

I have a Yamaha U1 with the SG Silent option, and still believe I made a good choice. I didn't like the celeste option on the non-silents, but as everyone here on this forum will say, there's nothing compares to trying out a selection of options.
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

I have a Yamaha U1 with the SG Silent option, and still believe I made a good choice
Hell, yes. Apart from the nine months it took to repair a faulty sensor rail (I could've had a baby in that time, you know) we've never regretted getting the YUS1 in our music room. The silent function is a massive asset in an institutional environment and the kids on higher grades find using the harpsichord voice good for trying out baroque repertoire. Yesterday I even managed to record what I was playing on 'silent' directly to a mixing desk. OK, it's not exactly Abbey Road Studios, but for me it was a step of Neil Armstrong proportions. Plus you can plug it into Sibelius etc.
djtoast
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by djtoast »

Openwood wrote: (I could've had a baby in that time, you know)
i always assumed you were a guy! :shock:

i'm finding that the celeste rail on my piano doesn't make it quite quiet enough to play at 5am as i'd hoped... i really like the piano though so i'm considering getting a silent system put in rather than changing it for a piano with one already in it... or maybe buying a second piano is the way forward for me :)
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

i always assumed you were a guy!
I am; but if medical science made the necessary advances, I could have a baby in nine months. Er, upon reflection, perhaps that wasn't my finest analogy 8)

Yeah, I think celeste rails are pretty much obsolete with the advent of the silent system. But maybe some people like them - can't think why, but who knows...
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

Openwood wrote: Hell, yes. Apart from the nine months it took to repair a faulty sensor rail (I could've had a baby in that time, you know) we've never regretted getting the YUS1 in our music room.
9 months sounds way over the top to me. Was the piano still under warranty? Even if the parts need to come from Japan, they shouldn't take longer than 6 weeks to arrive, so I can't see why any Yamaha Silent piano should take more than a couple of months to sort out. If the parts are in stock in the UK, it would be possible to repair it within a week of an engineer diagnosing the initial fault.
athomik