Yamaha S4

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Yamaha S4

Post by joseph »

Well, I gave a recital last night on a Yamaha S4 grand piano. Hmmmm.

At first play it wasn't dissimilar to a Steinway A. Then, as I rehearsed on it a bit more, I noticed that the bass sounded VERY metallic, with lots of odd harmonics, the damper return wasn't great, and, oddly, it didn't hold its tuning well at all. It slipped and slipped and slipped. It was tuned again before the concert, and it slipped and slipped again during the concert, and the tuner did hammer it in, so I'm surprised it didn't last.

Also, the regulation was pretty bad and the sostenuto pedal (that I used in one of the pieces) caught every note that I played and rather embarrassingly sounded like I over pedaled. This made me furious during the performance but I kept going. What is more annoying is that I asked the tech (who will remain nameless) specifically to regulate the sostenuto pedal just to make sure it worked, and he said 'This is a new Yamaha, there is no reason why it wont work'. Yet, in my experience, new pianos have their problems as well!

It was just like the piano had come fresh out of the factory with no prep at all. Also, it isn't a new piano, it is 6 years old.

Is this common amongst S4? My teacher has an S4 and it is a beautiful piano, it holds its tuning well and plays like a dream. Perhaps the one I played last night just needs someone to sit down and voice it, regulate it and love it a bit!
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Yamaha S4

Post by Openwood »

I played a couple; don't like 'em. Tuning very unstable, tubby bass, thin treble. What's the point?
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

joseph wrote:
Is this common amongst S4? My teacher has an S4 and it is a beautiful piano, it holds its tuning well and plays like a dream. Perhaps the one I played last night just needs someone to sit down and voice it, regulate it and love it a bit!
Your teacher is lucky or has a very stable room. as they are very unstable tuning wise. out of the box the regulation is not bad on most. The damper do tend to zing on new ones when released. A damper iron or time sorts that out. But you need to voice the bass quite a lot to a point that is would be unbalanced in other makes but once you do that they are nice. However, quite a lot do like the over tones you get in the base on the S4 Jaz players seem to like the S4 out of the box

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

EXACTLY THAT!!!!!!!!!! TUBBY METALLIC BASS!!!!!

yeah you know, it sounds like the S4 is a bit of a turkey. Funny really, coz its the size of piano that most people buy, probably the same size of frame as the C3.

Oh well, what a shame, such an expensive piano too! As you say Openwood, why bother?
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

A perfectly tuned and regulated S4 sounds and plays like it was made in Heaven, the Limited Edition S400 even more so, but yes, sadly they stay in that state for anything from a nanosecond to thirty five minutes.

Stability is crap.
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
Kemble King
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Kemble King »

But I thought that everyone thought that Yamaha's were the best thing since sliced bread?

Sounds like a Steinway would urinate all over it and both priced the same as well.
The most AMAZING piano dealer in the UK

Kemble Centre of Excellence also dealer for Kawai, Wendl and Lung and Brodmann pianos
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Kemble King wrote:But I thought that everyone thought that Yamaha's were the best thing since sliced bread?

Sounds like a Steinway would urinate all over it and both priced the same as well.
Yip but the S6 will give them a run for their money seem to me like the S6 was made is a different place it is odd You have the same with some Schimmel Grands the C 6' is not very stable the yet the C 6 10 is very stable the K models seem fine.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Kemble King wrote:But I thought that everyone thought that Yamaha's were the best thing since sliced bread?

Even Yamaha make a few duffers:

The GH1, GP1, GA1 were all very iffy, and strangely the S4 is wonderful sounding but really won't hold tune. Many CF111Ss seem to be tarred with the same brush.

The S6 is a different kettle of fish though. A real S&S B contender..... Although you're right, price is now very close and I'd take the B.
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
Kemble King
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Kemble King »

wierd how it wont stay in tune. I had a C3 like that a few years ago. It was as if the frame had slight movement in it. It eventually held in tune, but it did take 2 years.

What do you think is up with the stability of the S4?

Regards

Kemble King
The most AMAZING piano dealer in the UK

Kemble Centre of Excellence also dealer for Kawai, Wendl and Lung and Brodmann pianos
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

For what its worth, I prefer Steinways to Yamahas any day and would only really pick Yamaha from a price point of view.

It may of course be a generalization as there are some really beautiful Yamahas. However, I have played many Steinways that are 20 to 30 years old that still sound beautiful having had very little work done to them other than regulation, voicing and tuning ( I mean, no replaced parts) and I have played many Yamahas that are 10 years old that sound like there is no life left in them!

I am of course ready to be shot down for that one.....
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

For what its worth, I prefer Steinways to Yamahas any day
You'll hear no argument on that from this corner, Joseph! I'm very happy with my Yam C3; in fact it has greatly exceeded my expectations. It was (and still is) the best piano I could afford. However, if and when I can afford a Steinway B or D the Yam will be on the next bus outta here. I think Yamahas give you (as PG says) the 'best bang for your buck' but are they the best a pianist can get? Not in my book.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Word Openwood, bro!
PG

joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

i shouldn't feel hard done by, as i have two pianos, but even if i sold my brodmann and my bluthner, i STILL couldn't get a steinway in decent condition. boo hoo woe is me..... everybody say awwwwwww
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Down to your last two grand pianos, eh Jo? That's a recession for you :wink:
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

. . . . . . tell us about it :wink:
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Joseph, were you about to release a CD a few months ago? If it's available now I'd love to buy a copy - details gratefully received!
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

I'm currently setting up paypal on my website so that people can buy it online.

If you'd rather send a cheque, PM me, and I'll give you the address to send it to, and I'll post out the CD. :D
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Paypal is fine - can you post/pm the website address here?
Hanonymouse
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Hanonymouse »

joseph wrote:EXACTLY THAT!!!!!!!!!! TUBBY METALLIC BASS!!!!!

yeah you know, it sounds like the S4 is a bit of a turkey .... such an expensive piano too! As you say Openwood, why bother?
Oh dear! I've just paid a deposit on a new S4 which completely bowled me over in the shop when I tried it out - far better sounding then any of the other new Yamahas (C3s and similar). I walked into the shop intending to buy a C3 but was so impressed by the S4 that I decided it was worth the extra. The S6 I tried made a bigger and beefier sound but I don't need that for home use. I didn't notice the 'tubby metallic' bass on the S4 but then I wasn't listening out for it. The touch and responsiveness is lovely and it is easy to make beautiful soft sounds.

But now I find that contributors here reckon it won't sound good for long because the tuning is unstable. Have I bought a turkey? I suppose it isn't too late to change my mind - please give me some advice!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Hanonymouse wrote:
But now I find that contributors here reckon it won't sound good for long because the tuning is unstable. Have I bought a turkey? I suppose it isn't too late to change my mind - please give me some advice!
A piano life saver will help with the tuning stability problems

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Hanonymouse
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Hanonymouse »

Barrie Heaton wrote:
Hanonymouse wrote:
A piano life saver will help with the tuning stability problems

Barrie,
I'm not sure that would completely solve the problem - 'joseph' seemed to be saying that just playing an S4 for a short while sends it out of tune! Do S4s and 18th century harpsichords have something in common?

I'll be keeping the instrument in a centrally heated room, so I suppose a humidity controller might help though. But aren't they rather fiddly? And is it really such a good idea to constantly humidify/dehumidify the air around the soundboard?

But also, what was all that about the S4's 'tubby metallic bass' and 'thin treble'? The one I tried seemed OK in the shop?

To add to my cold feet at spending such a lot, I've been reading that S4s lose their value really quickly - compared to C3s or similar more popular instruments.

Stephen
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Hanonymouse wrote:

I'm not sure that would completely solve the problem - 'joseph' seemed to be saying that just playing an S4 for a short while sends it out of tune! Do S4s and 18th century harpsichords have something in common?
it will help not solve
Hanonymouse wrote: But also, what was all that about the S4's 'tubby metallic bass' and 'thin treble'? The one I tried seemed OK in the shop?
Again Voicing sorts that out to a point, I find the Bass disappointing for a piano with that price tag but others love them

Hanonymouse wrote: To add to my cold feet at spending such a lot, I've been reading that S4s lose their value really quickly - compared to C3s or similar more popular instruments.

Stephen
If we are staying with Yamaha then the C5 over the S4 for me but if not then the Bluthner Model 6

Take a look at this S/H Bluthner if you have the space

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Hanonymouse
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Hanonymouse »

Barrie Heaton wrote:
Hanonymouse wrote: To add to my cold feet at spending such a lot, I've been reading that S4s lose their value really quickly - compared to C3s or similar more popular instruments.

Stephen
If we are staying with Yamaha then the C5 over the S4 for me but if not then the Bluthner Model 6

Take a look at this S/H Bluthner if you have the space

Barrie
In fact there is a max 6' 8" size restriction because the piano has to fit up a staircase, so the Bluthner is out, but a C5 (6' 7") might just squeeze through.

Do you really reckon the C5 is a better instrument than the S4? The S4 definitely has the 'wow' factor for me, and to my ears the C series are rather bland by comparison.

I gather the 'Conservatoire' grands are excellent pianos for advanced students, so decent secondhand C series pianos are much sought-after, and they keep their value better than S4s.

Stephen
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Hanonymouse wrote:
In fact there is a max 6' 8" size restriction because the piano has to fit up a staircase, so the Bluthner is out, but a C5 (6' 7") might just squeeze through.
it can be cheaper to crane up to a window and go in that way then up the stairs
Hanonymouse wrote:
Do you really reckon the C5 is a better instrument than the S4? The S4 definitely has the 'wow' factor for me, and to my ears the C series are rather bland by comparison.
The S4 has a richer sound overall..... but the C5 is far better value, more stable and when voiced and set up its a very nice piano.
Hanonymouse wrote: I gather the 'Conservatoire' grands are excellent pianos for advanced students, so decent secondhand C series pianos are much sought-after, and they keep their value better than S4s.

Stephen
Yes they can be very nice but depends on how hard it has been played in the past

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page