Brodmann BU-121

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Rooty Toot
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Brodmann BU-121

Post by Rooty Toot »

Hi,

Just after some opinions on the Brodmann BU-121. I have found a second hand one in excellent condition that falls within my price range, however I have no experience of Brodmann, having never played one, therefore I was just wondering if you thought it was worth the two hour trek to go and see it, or whether I am likely to be disappointed? I am looking for something that is suitable for all standards, as I am just learning but want to be able to keep the piano for the forseeable future.

Went to a piano dealer the weekend, and fell in love with the Kawai K2, but it was just out of my price range, now trying to decide whether I should rob someone :lol: or continue my search for a second hand one.

Thanks for any advice!
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Brodmann BU-121

Post by PianoGuy »

They're very good.

If you like it and the price is good go for it.

What is the price?
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
Rooty Toot
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Rooty Toot »

Thank you!

Originally priced at £1,200, and she has had an offer of £1,000 so far. Unfortunately due to the distance, I will be unable to get there until the weekend, and I fear it may be sold by then. What would you consider a sensible offer for a December 2006 model in excellent condition?
Kemble King
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Kemble King »

The Brodmann 121 has a much richer bass than the K2 and a more mature touch.

Brodmann all the way.

Regards

Kemble King
The most AMAZING piano dealer in the UK

Kemble Centre of Excellence also dealer for Kawai, Wendl and Lung and Brodmann pianos
Kemble King
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Kemble King »

New list price of the 121 is £3,600.

You should not be haggling over a few hundred pounds at a Brodmann priced that low. Bite the sellers hand of, take it home and enjoy.

You are getting a lot of piano for the money.

Regards

Kemble King

Kemble Centre of Excellence also dealer for Kawai, Wendl and Lung and Brodmann pianos
vernon

Post by vernon »

Roger that good buddy, as we used to say in our yoof
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Agreed with above. If it's in good nick, £1200 is a steal, and it'll beat the K2 in every area.
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
Rooty Toot
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Rooty Toot »

Thanks very much for the feedback guys!

I think I should give her a call and make her an offer...it's all exciting!! :D
piano heads
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by piano heads »

ABOUT HE RIGHT PRICE FOR A NEW ONE HEARD THERE IN RECIEVERSHIP,ANYMORE SOCIAL NETWORKING AND I HAVE TO GO OR A PINT.
piano heads
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by piano heads »

ABOUT HE RIGHT PRICE FOR A NEW ONE HEARD THERE IN RECIEVERSHIP,ANYMORE SOCIAL NETWORKING AND I HAVE TO GO OR A PINT.
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

piano heads wrote:ABOUT HE RIGHT PRICE FOR A NEW ONE HEARD THERE IN RECIEVERSHIP,ANYMORE SOCIAL NETWORKING AND I HAVE TO GO OR A PINT.
Mr Piano Heads,
Why SHOUT? And in stereo......... :wink:
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Mr Piano Heads,
Why SHOUT? And in stereo
He does seem a tad grumpy. Serenity comes with the dawning acceptance that Yamaha is going to take over the world, flattening everything in its path like a giant wall of black polyester propelled ever onwards by discount merchants in SE England. You don't like the Yamaha sound? Who cares, there won't be a choice before long. :?
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

piano heads wrote:ABOUT HE RIGHT PRICE FOR A NEW ONE HEARD THERE IN RECIEVERSHIP,ANYMORE SOCIAL NETWORKING AND I HAVE TO GO OR A PINT.
Jeepers!

Brodmann are *not* in receivership, their UK distributor is.

Brodmann must therefore still be available one way or another.
PG

piano heads
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by piano heads »

Who sell them never seen them,is there a website,but a piano tuner friend of mine actively invovled in the buying and selling of both new and used pianos said he looks after 2 which are a couple of years old and they seem to wear quite quickly,and find them very expensive over 10k for a 6 footer,he can get better quality grand made in china for nearer the mid 5k mark.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

. . . .well my Brodmann six footer gets heavy use and I've had it for two years. Its still great. It plays and sounds way better than my 1910 Bluthner and my 1955 Challen upright. The Bluthner is nice in its own way but the Challen is less than inspiring.
chrisvenables
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisvenables »

piano heads wrote:Who sell them never seen them,is there a website,but a piano tuner friend of mine actively invovled in the buying and selling of both new and used pianos said he looks after 2 which are a couple of years old and they seem to wear quite quickly,and find them very expensive over 10k for a 6 footer,he can get better quality grand made in china for nearer the mid 5k mark.
The OP was discussing the upright 121, but there's no harm in including the Brodmann grands. Their 187, (6 footer and 2" to be exact) is unbeatable in its price range. It's a straight copy of a Steinway model A, with a German Strunz soundboard, Langer action and Abel hammers. It even has wooden sharps rather than the nasty plastic found on many pianos twice that price. The rim is thicker than the Yamaha C3. A 'European' piano, just assembled in China under Euro supervision. It is absolutely astounding. Please tell me what Chinese grand is better for £5K and I will reply.

Joseph, a very accomplished pianist, with a very good ear, I might say, (!) has also answered your question regarding wear and tear.
Yamaha Piano Main Dealer since 1981. www.chrisvenables.co.uk
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

chrisvenables wrote:
The OP was discussing the upright 121,
And that is a fine piano for the money too. Shame the 125 doesn't hit the mark, but what the hey, save your cash and buy the smaller one!

Are you stocking Brodmann now, CV? If so, can you enlighten the angry-sounding Mr piano heads as to who the importer is now Colin Taylor's company is no more and whether he will be blessed with a warranty should he shell out some hard-earned cash on one!? :wink:
PG

Kemble King
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Kemble King »

after 3 tunings on a 187 they are "rock Solid" on the tuning as well. We use a 187 as our hire grand, it's now 2 years old, has been hired out over 50 times and has good reviews from some very talented pianists.

chrisvenables
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisvenables »

PianoGuy wrote:
chrisvenables wrote:
The OP was discussing the upright 121,
And that is a fine piano for the money too. Shame the 125 doesn't hit the mark, but what the hey, save your cash and buy the smaller one!

Are you stocking Brodmann now, CV? If so, can you enlighten the angry-sounding Mr piano heads as to who the importer is now Colin Taylor's company is no more and whether he will be blessed with a warranty should he shell out some hard-earned cash on one!? :wink:
PG: Yes we stock Brodmann.

Don't know if Colin Taylor actually had a 'company' as such - but Colin is still alive and kicking and still with Brodmann and he and Christian H. are still running the world-wide show.

Brodmann, as far as I know, are currently imported by two companies in the UK. (but not necessarily in this order!) 1/ By a very well respected company in Scotland who, I think for reasons of professional etiquette should disclose their name themselves and 2/ by Chris Venables in England. Whoever sells the piano would honour the guarantee, in partnership with Brodmann. In the unlikely event of a Brodmann dealer closing, then it is the norm for the remaining dealer(s) to do the work, in partnership with Brodmann. Likewise (although most unlikely) if Brodmann ceased trading then it would be the dealer who would honour it. (Sale of goods act and all that)

If Mr Heads wants a Brodmann (to compliment his 2 Grotrians) from me or from any of our well respected Brodmann partners in Scotland, then he has the assurance of a five year guarantee.
Yamaha Piano Main Dealer since 1981. www.chrisvenables.co.uk
Kemble King
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Kemble King »

The wholesaler for Brodmann in Scotland is The Edinburgh Piano Company Ltd. Contact is James Cameron.

The dealers for Brodmann in Scotland are McLarens Piano Superstore, Cylde Street, Glasgow.
Gordon Bell Pianos Ltd, 45 Rosemount Viaduct, Aberdeen
Moray Firth Pianos, Inverness and Elgin
Edinburgh Piano Compnay Ltd, 5 Howard Street, Edinburgh

I hope this is not considered as advertising, but the question was asked.

Regards

Kemble King