Need Help with very old Grand Piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

basiko

Need Help with very old Grand Piano

Post by basiko »

Hello,
My name is Guga Abramishvili. I`m from Georgia.
My family has a very old grand piano and I need some help. I was searching some information about it, but couldn`t find anything. Could someone tell me, who made it and it`s approximate age and price. Everything I know is that it was bought by my great grandfather in france.
Could someone help me? :)
Here are some photos:

genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Need Help with very old Grand Piano

Post by genaa »

Hi Guga,

Have a look inside the piano case and try and locate a serial number on either the cast iron plate or the soundboard. That is the easiest way to track the age of the instrument.

I would suggest you post this thread in the piano history section of these forums as well. Bill Kibby is pretty authoritative on the subject and should be able to tell you something about the manufacturers.

As far as value goes, that will depend heavily on the condition of the piano and the only way to really tell that is to have a piano technician inspect the instrument. Then you can get a handle on its current condition, likely value, and the prospective cost of any renovation/repair/restoration works required.

Hope that helps somewhat?

p.s. in your photos you are using the music rack to prop open the lid.....you should fold the lid right back on its hinge against the curved section of the lid and there should be a prop-stick inside the main body of the piano to prop the entire lid up with..... the music rack is just for holding sheet music as you play and you might damage this by resting the lid weight upon it.....
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Need Help with very old Grand Piano

Post by Pianomate »

Kaims and Gonthe is the anglicised version of Kaim and Gunther. A brief trawl through the net suggests they were active between 1845 - 1883

Looks nice and original condition. Still has the original ebony and ivory keys in good condition except for one ebony missing (do you still have it?), though looks like they need a good clean and polish.