Yamaha C1s Reverb Not working.

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

speedbird2001

Yamaha C1s Reverb Not working.

Post by speedbird2001 »

Hi everyone.

I have been playing my Yamaha C1 (Silent Grand) for a number of years and have been very happy with it. Recently whilst playing (through the head-phones) with the silent mechanism activated I have noticed that the reverb control is not working anymore. For those who are not in the know there is a small black box just under the piano with a x2 head-phone sockets, a midi controller, volume and reverb knobs. Everything is working perfectly other than the reverb.
My questions are.
1. Are these items readily replaceable ?
2. If so, how much are they ?
3. Is this a problem with Yamaha silent grands ( I have never come across this before)?
I am certainly no expert or that technically minded to fix it myself. My worry with anything that I don't understand is the potential cost involved so any halp would be much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

Call Yamaha on 01908 369213 for details of a local engineer who can have a look at your piano. Parts should be readily available, so there is no reason why your piano can't be repaired.
speedbird2001

Post by speedbird2001 »

Hi and thank you for your reply.

I have in fact done all that you suggested. My only worry is that the engineer indicated that there will be a call out charge of 90 pounds, which isn't a disaster, however my main concern is the fault may be minor. Forgive me for sounding paranoid but having been recently charged 500 pounds for a boiler fault which in fact should have been a simple and straightforward job costing 50 pounds I am a little nervous.
The engineer (who I have to say sounded very pleasant) will not give me any indication tothe costs until he has seen the piano.

The reason for going onto the forums was to try and establish whether someone had a similar problem to mine so at least I could gauge a feel of the potential repair costs. Even the cost of a new box would be very helpful.

Many thanks.
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

Since most of the processors etc are shared between different tasks and everything else is working OK, is suspect that the fault is with the rotary control itself, which is a couple of pounds for the part. In the unlikely event that the fault is on the main circuit board, and considering that a field engineer is unlikely to repair a main processor board to component level (i.e. he'll just change the entire circuit board), you are looking at some serious money (poss. £500 - £800) - it would probably be a lot cheaper(and more versatile) to add and external effects unit.
speedbird2001

Post by speedbird2001 »

Thanks so much.

That is worrying !!!!!!!!!
pdossantos
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by pdossantos »

Your piano was an expensive purchase, I own a GC1 silent, if something went faulty on my piano I would have a qualified technician fix it. Don't try to fix it yourself. You can try to unplug the power and replug it. If that doesnt work try the different reverb modes, look in your manual to see how this works, maybe if you put it on Stage it will still give you enough reverb. If not, you must get the wallet out. Expensive hobbies cost money!!

:shock:

good luck.
Regards,
patrick
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

speedbird2001 wrote:Thanks so much.

That is worrying !!!!!!!!!
It's extremely rare for the main circuit board to develop a fault.
speedbird2001

Post by speedbird2001 »

Thanks again for all your helpful answers.

Well the engineer is coming round tonight so between now and then I will be biting on the back of my hand a lot. But I will post the outcome for the benefit of others.

I certainly will not attempt to repair this myself. One glance at the wires made me realise I was way out of my league.

Patrick, I was curious about your remark.....
I own a GC1 silent, if something went faulty on my piano I would have a qualified technician fix it

Have you had many problems with your piano ? I had always thought Yamaha to be pretty reliable!!!

Thanks again.
pdossantos
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

GC1

Post by pdossantos »

hey speedbird,

I hope the tech's visit went well and wasn't to expensive, do let me know!
As to your question, I have had no problems with my silent system. I have been very pleased with it so far. You are the first on I hear from with a problem on the system so I am quit curious to find out what it was.

kind regards,
Patrick
speedbird2001

Post by speedbird2001 »

Hi Patrick,

Sorry, I mis-read your comment. You were referring to a hypothetical '' If my piano went wrong''.

Well the tech chap came round and it was good news. The fault was not in circiut board as athomik correctly predicted.

Firstly he changed the circuit board on the basis that if the reverb started working the fault definately was with the board. Luckily having established
it was not the main board he dis assembled the small box under the piano and established quickly that it was the reverb potentiometer.

So total cost was £112. This chap obviously knows what he is talking about and is a fine piano player to boot.

So all well that ends well. Thanks to everyone who put some input to this topic and hopefully it may help somebody in the future.

Tristan.