Klein & Sons Pianos

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Gill the Piano

Klein & Sons Pianos

Post by Gill the Piano »

Tuned a Klein & Sons grand today which they say they got for 3K brand new!! Never heard of the make before - where are they from?
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

Ebay???? :lol:
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Klein & Sons Pianos

Post by PianoGuy »

Gill the Piano wrote:Tuned a Klein & Sons grand today which they say they got for 3K brand new!! Never heard of the make before - where are they from?
Klein is a French manufacturer. They used to have some kind of link to Bentley/Woodchester Pianos and shared frame designs on some models. I would have thought that the latest models at that price must hail from China.

Take a look at this. I'm sure you'd agree there's more than a hint of Bentley about it!!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Yes, but this was a grand! A bit hard sounding, but but tuned up all right, with only a few false notes (around mid treble, where the Bechstein grands go false). I can't find out much on the net, so wondered if you lot might know. I'd agree it was made somewhere in the orient, but not bad.
Jake Collins

Post by Jake Collins »

Klein pianos are made by Wendl and Lung of Vienna.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Thanks, that's solved a mystery for me!
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
vernon

Post by vernon »

When I said that all Bechsteins have a false tenor section I was shot down in flames.
Nice to know that Gill the Piano seems to agree with me. They send me barmy, but then, I am a rather sensitive soul.
Am I and she alone?
Why do crap old straight- strungs not suffer so much from falseness and have super brilliant trebles into the top octave where more modern joannas produce a clunk?
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

vernon wrote:When I said that all Bechsteins have a false tenor section I was shot down in flames.
Nice to know that Gill the Piano seems to agree with me.
I find it's the treble on the grands - and a tuner friend agrees with me, and he's a far better tuner than I shall ever be so if HE has problems...! Conversely, I like the uprights and find them to be very stable. As long as they haven't been parked in a conservatory, she remarked bitterly...
Thanks for those links, I shall have a good look at those!
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Re Bechstein grands: I find the old ones are terrible, and in that very section which you don't like Vernon, they are clunky, they are unreliable, the tuning is never good, and I honestly never look forward to playing one. Actually it's been a very long time since I did. I've played a couple that have been rebuilt with a new board, and the scale has been improved, and they can turn out quite well, but they're really nothing special.

The new ones on the other hand are absolutely gorgeous.

The uprights have always been very good, very clear, very rich sounding.

Yeah, go on a forum and say you don't like a Bechstein, then it's time to duck and cover. Personally I'm not all that keen on Steinway either, especially the model B. I find it actually very weak in the bass, no sustain, and they give it a lot of punch to compensate. I think Yamaha is far better than Steinway (from a pianists perspective at least), but you're not allowed to say that on a piano forum either. There are some gorgeous model D steinways, even some beautiful As and Cs, and the baby grands are amongst the best in their size, but I've never been a fan of the model B, and actually, I've played concert grands that I far prefer over the Steinway. Just my personal preference. I know they're great quality. Perhaps afew years back Steinway was my favourite, but as I've played more I've changed.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

vernon wrote:When I said that all Bechsteins have a false tenor section I was shot down in flames.
Nice to know that Gill the Piano seems to agree with me. They send me barmy, but then, I am a rather sensitive soul.
Am I and she alone?
Why do crap old straight- strungs not suffer so much from falseness and have super brilliant trebles into the top octave where more modern joannas produce a clunk?
I bet it was tuners that use ETD

I was told many moons ago by old tuner that they were like that from new As the grands were made that way so the trebles would ring out
If you rescale them and burnish the agrafs with a pipe cleaner and some brasso the top trebles are much better not a good as the new ones

Still a pain to tune

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page