Kawai RX-3 elusive noise

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

tony_mac

Post by tony_mac »

Stuart wrote:
I am happy with the RX2, save for a small elusive noise on some notes - the supplier is arranging for a Kawai technician to fix it and my tuner, with experience of selling Kawais, assures me that their post-sales service is good.

Will try to remember to update the forum with any siginificant developments with the RX2.
Hi there, I've just taken delivery of a Kawai RX-3 and like others had compared it to the Yamaha CIII. Have to say on one day I liked the brightness of the yamaha on the next I liked the "soul" of the RX-3. I would have been happy with either.

Anyway the point of my post is, my RX-3 also has an elusive noise on a couple of notes. It sounds a little bit like the distortion you would hear when you overload the input on an mixing desk. I have traced the fault to the soft close mechanism in the keyboard lid which vibrates at particular pitches. Funnily enough the (very good) piano tuner didn't spot this and thought it might have been frame noise. Needless to say I was very relieved it wasn't something more sinister. When I first noticed the noise the piano was only about a week old and I got that horrible feeling that it might end up being something that never gets solved. Haven't had a chance to speak to the dealer yet (JS in london) but I'm sure they'll look after me, their pre-sales service was 2nd to none.

Tony
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

I too have a sound which is very elusive on my piano; the sound of the right notes being played :cry:
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
vernon

Post by vernon »

if you've isolated the noise to the soft fall mechanism then you are both lucky and laughing. It should require only a small fiddling to cure.
lovely piano
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

i love the RX-3, lovely warm tone, responsive action... you're so lucky! I prefer it to a C3 but thats only personal.

Openwood, I too have that elusive noise on my piano, you get used to it eventually, unless it happens when your students play :D
RWAS
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Kawai RX-3

Post by RWAS »

I have had my Kawai RX-3 piano for a year now and I am delighted with it. However, within a month or so of delivery it developed a "fuzzy" quality on one note, the B flat nearly two octaves above Middle C.
It was very quickly and easily put right. It was a settling in problem on the front duplex of the B flat and rectified in a couple of minutes.

"Buzzing" or "fuzzy" notes are often encountered in new pianos as they settle and adjust to their new environment. The good news is that a professional can usually fix the problem quite simply under the new piano warranty.

The Kawai RX-3 is a fantastic piano and it is a joy to play.

Kind regards,

Robert.
I love the piano and its music.
jolee

Re: Kawai RX-3 elusive noise

Post by jolee »

My RX-3 had the same problem. I took out the keyboard lid and removed the iron rod under it. No problems now!