Piano Moving

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

phillewis

Piano Moving

Post by phillewis »

I am currently looking for a piano and have size issues! Our front door leads into a small hall with the bathroom infront of you, a wall to the right, so you need to turn immediately left then immediately right to get into where the piano would live. It's a tights squeeze and we only just got things like our sofa in when we moved.

For that reason, I think it's going to have the be a digital/stage piano, however I just wanted to check: if I get a Kemble style small piano (e.g. http://www.ukpianos.co.uk/Used%20Kemble%20Piano.jpg) then would it be at all possible to squeeze this through?
tuna
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by tuna »

I would hazard a guess that lots of different acoustic upright pianos would fit if moved on their end.

But, to be sure, you could ask a piano mover to have a look at the access you have first.

I would go for acoustic over digital if at all possible.
Brumtuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Brumtuner »

The piano will have to be up-ended so make a cardboard template of the side of one and see it will pass through the doorways. I reckon it'll go if you have the keyboard facing the right hand wall, wheeled straight into bathroom, front door then closed, and then one swoop through the 2 other doorways (with the back of the piano against the door jams).

I forbid you to buy a digital piano because they have no 'soul' and they're CRRRRAP.
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

I forbid you to buy a digital piano because they have no 'soul' and they're CRRRRAP.
That's the thing, isn't it; with the best will in the world, when the chips are down they're just a bit crap.
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
Grenache
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Grenache »

Brumtuner wrote:The piano will have to be up-ended so make a cardboard template of the side of one and see it will pass through the doorways. I
I did this last year and it was really helpful at working out how the piano could be moved. I have an old cottage with narrow doorways and a narrow hall, and it required a few turns one one end then on the other end.

The professional piano movers who delivered the new piano had no problem at all. They had a small trolley and put the piano end-on on this which made the job quite easy.

The old piano was larger and required slightly more handling to get out of the house, but the cardboard template proved valuable to work out a plan of escape!
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

There must be a way of fitting it in. I know it sounds a bit naff but you could stick A4 pages together to make the floor space of the piano and see how manoeuvering it would go. Good piano movers should be able to deal with that issue also but it may be worth talking over with someone in the showroom. It pays to do your homework. You will also have to consider the size of your room also as it will msot likely affect the type of upright piano you will buy. Powerful sounding pianos and small livingrooms don't go!

As for digital pianos, they have serious limitations and hamper musical technique if you are a piano student/learner. I definitely wouldn't advise you to learn on one. However, as someone who has played good digitals, these are not "cr*p", but certainly have their limits as I said. Digital pianos were only really meant to be a substitute where an acoustic would not be feasible, e.g. 14th floor in a block of flats, very small livingrooms, places where temperature could not be maintained consistently like a church hall or conservatory, use with a computer. Recently people have used these to budget costs which is also understandable but digitals were never meant to be an equal alternative, but that doesn't make them useless as instruments. In order to get a good quality sound and piano feel, you need to think about spending amounts that would be comparable with a cheap upright. This is when you need to make a decision - acoustic or digital?

However, if space is an inconquerable mountain in your quest to get an acoustic, you wouldn't be the first person to go digital for the same reason!
phillewis

Post by phillewis »

Many thanks for the advice everyone! Space inside the room isn't the main problem - it's a medium sized dining room so should accommodate a small-ish upright which isn't too powerful. My problem was getting into the house in the first place.

I've been convinced, and am on the lookout for a Kemble/Rogers/Bentley upright within my price range!
vernon

Post by vernon »

A professional person will tell you in 2 minutes wheteher it will go in or not.
In 50 years we have never not got a piano in!