How can i make my upright piano keys heavier?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

chabos4

How can i make my upright piano keys heavier?

Post by chabos4 »

Hello everyone! :)

I have a yamaha upright piano E121T and its keys are rather light.
My teacher stated that i will not be able to built my muscles practising on this piano.

Is there a way i could make my keys heavier without having to buy a new piano?
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

new piano? heavier keys? sounds like you need a new teacher more like!

The piano might not be ideal, but the idea of practice is NOT to BUILD muscles, but to create neurological pathways and condition the hand into performing certain actions.

Above that, it is about developing awareness so that you can have a mental concept of a work before you play it.

Muscles should be built in the gym if you feel so inclined. Don't mean to sound unkind, but it is the truth. (Hey, my teacher was taught by a pupil of Schnabel, Schnabel by Leschetizky, Leschetizky by Czerny and Czerny by Beethoven so I have a little bit of an idea, not that I could claim to play like any of them :twisted: )
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Lead weight can be added to the back of the key you only need a few grams You need your tuner to test the key weight to get the balance he/she can look to see if the old key leads have been removed as some times they have been to make the action lighter

The simplistic none invasive way is go to you local fishing shop see what little weights they have use some bluetak to stick them on the back of the keys as close to the action as you can

Has your teacher got a grand ?

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Brumtuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Brumtuner »

"Has your teacher got a grand ? "

I don't think fishing weights are that expensive!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Arf, arf...