BIGGARS IN GLASGOW

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

BIGGARS IN GLASGOW

Post by joseph »

Biggars in Glasgow appear to have closed down. Can anyone shed any light as to why, and who is going to take up the steinway agency in Scotland?
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

Oooooooooooooooh what a supprise......... NOT. Looks like they found out the hard way that some kind of a profit is a requirement of staying in business !!!!

Their accounts were on hold with some manufacturers a year ago so it was only a matter or time I guess.
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Maybe Noddy didn't pay for his Model D on time.
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

i know some manufacturers stopped supplying them and their showroom started to look really empty. They also had unrestored (read: totally clapped out) Steinway model o and m pianos that were 100 years old with a price tag of about 20K.

Once, about 4 years ago, they had an old Yamaha G3, which was from about 1970 or maybe even before. This was its price tag:

'New Retail Price, £16999, Our Price, £12999' AND THEY SOLD IT!!!!!! At the time, a new C3 was selling for £10500 from Chamberlain and the rest!!! For that misleading information, over-inflated prices etc, what else can they have expected?!
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Openwood wrote:Maybe Noddy didn't pay for his Model D on time.
Ba doom, tish!

"Thang yew verry mooch, fawlks, aall be here aal week..."
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by A440 »

I've heard they are now starting up again (this will be the third time). For legal reasons the name will be slightly changed (now Biggars of Glasgow).
The outstanding debts will be written off and they are continuing with Steinway.
Well it beats working for a living!
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

A440 wrote:I've heard they are now starting up again (this will be the third time). For legal reasons the name will be slightly changed (now Biggars of Glasgow).
The outstanding debts will be written off and they are continuing with Steinway.
Well it beats working for a living!
Bunch of amateurs!!! This sort of thing realy does P*** me off. Weve just had the same thing with Brittens down here. Same MD, same shop slight name change and off they go again. What realy gets me is very often with the same supplers who lost money!!!!WTF!!!! IF you cant run a business and go bust then go on the dole. Its insulting for those of us who are strugling to pay the bills and working through the tough times. If its as easy as bleed a business dry fold it and start again I think we all might as well try it. Theres no incentive to behave properly. If you are the md of a company that goes bust you should loose your home to cover the bills. You made the decisions, you took the money when things were going well now bite the bullit when theres a down turn. :evil:
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by A440 »

You made the decisions, you took the money when things were going well now bite the bullet when theres a down turn. :evil:[/quote]

You also, more importantly took the money when things were going badly.
People who draw a salary out of their business as if it owed them a living are not 'running' a small business, they are 'using' a small business.
It is, indeed frustrating when there is no system of retribution for someone who undercuts everyone, pays themselves handsomely and then goes bust, only to start up again.
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

I wont leave any cash deposit with any small business thats a limited company. Its just too tempting for them to fold when things get tough. A sole trader on the other hand you can hound to the ends of the earth to get your money back as they cant hide behind the limited company " im just a share holder" line.
Grenache
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Grenache »

And if it's a purchase of over £100, I'll always try to use my credit card, so you have protection there if the company goes bust or otherwise fails to produce the goods or perform the service.
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

Grenache wrote:And if it's a purchase of over £100, I'll always try to use my credit card, so you have protection there if the company goes bust or otherwise fails to produce the goods or perform the service.
Dont bank on it being easy. As a retailer you sign to allow them to dip in to your account when they want to HOWEVER when you try to get something done as a punter its a nightmare ( well it was with hsbc).
Grenache
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Grenache »

Of course, I hope that the goods / services work out ok, but I have had to recourse to s75 of the Consumer Credit Act on one occasion a few years ago, and BoS paid up once I set out my case.