Not sure if this is a stupid question but.....

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

quinie
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Not sure if this is a stupid question but.....

Post by quinie »

The pedal on my piano was making a clicking noise and it was driving me mad!

In an attempt to find out what we could do about the noise my husband and I (and he is pretty good at this sort of thing) fiddled about with the pedal a lot and we actually changed how "hard" it was to press down.

Before we messed about with the mechanism (just screwing the screw tighter and looser) the piano was perfect apart from the clicking.

Now though - I have messed about with it soooo much I just can't get it back to how it was before.

The quesiton I have is....

I noticed that when I adjusted it a lot they keyboard had a different feel about it - if I had it too hard the keys were really difficult to press down and it was sometimes as it the pedal was on all the time...

.. despite feeling like I have "sort of" got the pedal in the right place now the keyboard is still really hard and unresponsive.

Is it my imagination or is the keyboard responsiveness and the pedal connected somehow? Part of me says don't be so stupid but another part of me says that before we messed about with it the piano had a really nice light responsive touch (which I need because my touch is really light and was one of the reasons I picked the piano)

What do you all think? I have got a number for a technitian - do you think he will sort me out?

Oh - and finally (!) The piano is due for a tune - should I get this done before or after the technitian (if I need him?)?

Thank you so much.
vernon

Post by vernon »

which peadl?
If it's the "soft" pedal then you have adjusted it up too much so the it is permanently "on"
The tuner will fix it in two minutes.
Cease twiddling
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

I once had a sustain pedal that clicked when it was used. Drove me nuts (as the man who went to the doctor with a steering wheel sticking out of his trousers said). My tuner at the time insisted it wasn't happening and I could never be at home when he visited. In the end I just turned the rod round a bit and the click went away. I charged myself 35 quid for the job and spent my fee on curry and beers. It was a pleasure doing business with myself.
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Not sure if this is a stupid question but.....

Post by Barrie Heaton »

quinie wrote:
Oh - and finally (!) The piano is due for a tune - should I get this done before or after the technitian (if I need him?)?

Thank you so much.
If its due for tuning just get it tuned the tuner should look at the pedals as a mater of routine and may not even charge you any extra for putting them right

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
quinie
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by quinie »

Hi there!

Thanks for your replies.

It is the sustain pedal - the one on the right - I don't actually know what they are technically called - I learned to play from a 90 year old woman years ago and she didn't used to use the pedals at all!

I will book the tuner. He is blind - will this make a difference as to whether or not he can fix the pedal?

Sorry - I know it's probably another stupid question! I'm good at those! :oops:
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

quinie wrote:
I will book the tuner. He is blind - will this make a difference as to whether or not he can fix the pedal?
No should make no difference at all

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
quinie
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by quinie »

Again - thank you very much. Will go ahead and book the tuner! :D