Rogers upright to Rogers baby grand - worth it?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

quinie
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Rogers upright to Rogers baby grand - worth it?

Post by quinie »

I have got a Rogers upright piano that I got 4 years ago from a place called Acadamy Pianos in Hollywood, Birmingham. I paid £1,400 for it.

I love this piano and it has a nice tone and ivory keys - it's from the 40's I think.

I have had no problems with it and love it's light touch.

I have been thinking about upgrading to a baby grand though and have found another Rogers piano from a place in Port Talbot - the name escapes me at the moment.

The baby grand comes with a 5 year warranty and has been fully reconditioned. It is a 5 foot baby grand.

What I want to know is - is it worth it to upgrade like this? Will a baby grand sound as good if not better, or am I best to just stick to what I have got? I have ALWAYS wanted a baby grand and have finally got the room for one so really want to go for it. They had a tiny one at the hotel where we got married a few months ago and I played it there and loved it but I heard somewhere that the small ones are not worth it.

Any help appreciated - thanks.
David B
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by David B »

Hi quinie,

It all depends on the piano of course, but baby grands are more for decoration that anything else. You would really need a 6ft to be an improvement on a good large upright.

Of course Gill may disagree :roll:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

What? WHAT???? I'd much rather have a decent upright than a baby grand; it's what I always say. However, the PUNTER prefers a large horizontal surface which accommodates more silver photograph frames and implies that they are as gifted as Ashkenazy but are more modest.
The answer is to go and play it and see what you think. But remember how much floor space you're losing and play the grand for a long time before you decide - particularly if you like a decent bass end.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Rogers uprights were amongst the best produced in Britain, whilst their baby grands (All English baby grands in fact, and a good handful of European ones too) were lacklustre, tubby-sounding and generally nasty.

You'd be barking to change.
vernon

Post by vernon »

Don't forget that Rogers were called the " English Bechstein" and indeed blatantly incorporate many of the Bechstein details.
Look at the action pillars.
quinie
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by quinie »

Okay! I think your feelings are pretty clear on that one! :D

What sort of grand or baby grand do I have to go to to get an upgrade then?

What about the Yamaha ones - I looked at a few that were 5-10 years old and liked those - at the time I didn't have a lot of money but am a bit more flush now!

.... or are you saying there is no grand/baby grand that will be as good as my Rogers upright?

Thanks again!
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

vernon wrote:Don't forget that Rogers were called the " English Bechstein" and indeed blatantly incorporate many of the Bechstein details.
Look at the action pillars.
Only on a few of them. Most Rogers uprights have no similarity with Bechsteins, although there was certainly one model which used the Bechstein Model IV frame and action design, although it had far more elaborate fly-dampers than the wire efforts used on the Bechstein.

Rogers also built the "Bechstein London" baby grand.
vernon

Post by vernon »

Didn't know that.
"Bechstein London" of course is to be avoided at all costs as the frame was liable to crack and was irreparable ( In them days) Perhaps the Polish bods can do it nowadays. Sentence one stands.