Very old piano - tuning advice

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

sparkley
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Very old piano - tuning advice

Post by sparkley »

My parents have your bog standard brown wooden upright piano which hasn't been used in a long time. They would like to get it tuned etc so that it can be used for the grandchildren. The piano hasn't been tuned in 10 years (!!) and in that time it has moved house.

I've had a look at the piano and it all seems ok on the surface. However some of the keys are a little clunky. Also, the sustain pedal doesn't work properly - it holds some of the notes, but not for very long.

I wanted some advice on what to expect when I arrange a tuning. I will of course let the tuner know how long it has been since the piano has been tuned, but is this going to cost my parents a fortune? I've read that it will probably need a pitch raise, but that this can cause some strings to break. Am I looking at a lot of money to fix this if it happens? Also, are pedal repairs a minor job which can be done in the home?

Many thanks in advance :-)
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

If they want it for kids to explore music on, then it just wants a tuning to get it on its way, and have it tuned regularly afterwards. Otherwise it's the equivalent of doing a huge workout at the gym, causing yourself pain, and then never going again saying 'I must be fit, I went to the gym in 1976'.
String breakage is more likely if they want it at concert pitch (A440) and it's a long way flat. If it is way down (much more than a semitone) then ask the tuner to raise the pitch over subsequent tunings.
Pedal; probably only needs adjustment. Not something I'd charge for if done in conjunction with the tuning. Repairs (if a spring needs replacing, which doesn't sound likely) will be charged for.
Clunky keys: Well, from what you say it's an old piano. We all get clunky as we get old...ask the tuner whether s/he thinks rebushing the keys is A) to blame B) economically viable. An old overdamper won't be worth throwing money at, but if it's a good piano (your tuner will tell you) it might be.
Bear in mind it's only for kids to explore on; they aren't Grade VIII, they arent experienced, they won't be using the pedal to start with and they probably won't notice clunky keys!
vernon

Post by vernon »

all sound advice
vernon

Post by vernon »

If it is just to get the grandchildren to see if they have any interest,as Gill says, just get it tuned.I wouldn't bother about a pitch raise in the first instance if it is below pitch but it must be made clear that if the children progress "concert pitch" is a must to train their relative pitch, which may entail a different piano.
The tuner will answer all these problems. The pedal is a two minutes' job, providing the pedal hooks are not all red rust when it will take much time and cursing from under the piano to correct and a bill to match
sparkley
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sparkley »

Thank you so much for the advice Gill and Vernon. I was just a bit nervous about telling the tuner how out of the condition the piano is - it feels going to the dentist when you haven't been for a long time and then getting told off!! Lol :-)

I've contacted a tuner and he is coming next week so hopefully all will go well :-)

Many thanks again.