Just bought Yamaha W103, any information appreciated!

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

whitebeagle
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Just bought Yamaha W103, any information appreciated!

Post by whitebeagle »

Hello

A student just bought a walnut yamaha W103 which I was told is like a U1. I preferred the normal ebony yamaha U1 but my student liked the matt finish better.

It cost a bit more than the U1, I just wonder whether we made the right decision? It's serial number 2 something, has been used quite a lot but was owned by a tuner.

Any information on this would be much appreciated. Also, is it just me or do black pianos generally sound better than the brown ones? :roll: We haven't put down a deposit on it yet so can still change our minds!
Last edited by whitebeagle on 23 Jul 2008, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
whitebeagle
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by whitebeagle »

I have since discovered there's also a W102 and a few other numbers.

I was told it's very rare and the piano shop told me they will be able to sell it very easily if I didn't take it. It was almost like a threat!

How does it compare to the U1? Any information very much appreciated, thank you.
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

whitebeagle wrote:I have since discovered there's also a W102 and a few other numbers.

I was told it's very rare and the piano shop told me they will be able to sell it very easily if I didn't take it. It was almost like a threat!

How does it compare to the U1? Any information very much appreciated, thank you.
Sounds like they need a sale reeeeeeeeeeeeeal bad. I thought that sort of selling was for double glazing. I would walk away simply because they are treating you like an idiot.
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

I wonder why they are so 'rare' :wink:
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

Openwood wrote:I wonder why they are so 'rare' :wink:
Grey Import. It's been hammered in Japan for a few years and then stuck in a container bound for the UK. Check to see if there is a plastic wallet inside the top, that should confim it.